Superstar Elite 30 ultra wheelset

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
They are £99.99 now. Very tempted. :blush:
Wow, bargain!

Hamcob

I’ve just put a new set of tyres on my older Mavic Aksiums, and I have compared the weight between two fronts.

Mavic Aksium + Mavic skewer + Mavic rim tape + Schwable Lugano wire bead (red stripe 2016) 700x25 + Schwable sv20 extra light inner tube =1260grams

Superstar Elite 30 + Mortop Ultralight skewers + Superstar rim tape +Schwable One folding 700x25 + Btwin extra light inner tube= 1020grams

Not weighed rears yet for comparison, but pleased with that weigh saving and enjoying the look of the wheels most of all!

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
They are quite red. For a hundred squids I ain't complaining. They will be ridden hard as all my kit is. ^_^

tmp_16363-DSC_02501275087180.JPG

Hamcob

They do look good,
Reds the new black!^_^

grimpeur

Veteran
Bought a pair of the Elite 24's recently. Would recommend changing the rim tapes on these rims(don't know about the 30's)as they are not wide enough to sit tight on the rim or give full coverage. Before I rode them 1st time I was aware of a road test review mentioning the same problem and lo and behold got a puncture at (fortunately) the end of my first ride. Nothing had penetrated the tyre but there were quite a few crescent shaped cuts on the inside of the inner tube, two of which had got through and caused a flat. The rim tape must have moved enough to expose the sharp edges of the spoke holes. For info an 18mm rim tape now gives full coverage edge to edge on the rim. The rim tapes that came with the wheels I measured at 15mm. The wheels ride well enough and weigh in at 858g rear and 711g front minus rim tapes.

Levo-Lon

Guru
If there sealed bearings they may need upgrade..but ive hammered a few SS wheels as have some of my bike mates..no buckles..just bearings ..

OP
OP
Justinslow

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
Update, as others have said I've just had my first puncture from the spoke holes.
Using a super light Planet X tube, the tape doesn't seem strong enough to prevent the tube bulging into the spoke hole and eventually splitting. Only one hole had punctured but all the others had marked the tube. I've run another layer of electrical tape round the rim and fitted a stronger conti tube.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
I would be tempted to get some new tape it is only a couple of quid, I changed the tape to some old Mavic stuff when I changed the tyres. No punctures but it was deforming quite noticeably into the spoke holes.
On another note I have now ridden three road races on them and they have held up well :okay:. I had been tempted to put my deep sections back on, but it has been a bit windy, so for the moment have stuck with the Superstars (don't want to be drifting around too much in the bunch). Noticed a guy with a gold set of wheels in the same race last week, had a quick look and although he had taken the decals off there was no doubt he was running the same wheels. I had a bit of a smile to myself as we were both running sub £100 wheels surrounded by some seriously expensive kit. :whistle:;)

Top Bottom