Superstar Road wheels - any views?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

park1

Birthday time! Looking to upgrade my dt swiss r1900 wheels and am tempted by superstar paves or arc22. The arc22 are tubeless compatible - not sure if I want to go this route but the option would be nice. However I've heard running tubes on tubeless can be pain?
Other options are fulcrum 5 or ultegras.
I'm looking for a wide profile rim and lightweight (sub 1700g). Not so bothered about aero. I weigh 70 kg and these will be nice weekend wheels not commuter beaters!

Cuchilo

Prize winning member X2
@Justinslow has superstar wheels if i remember correctly .

Broadside

Guru
I've got the Pave 28 wheels, had them about 6 months. They are incredibly light for the price so I don't expect them to last too long but I've had no issues with them yet.

The wider rim makes quite a nice whooshy sound as they roll and they sound great with latex tubes :-)

The freehub is quite loud compared to a lot of other wheels out there but they are not annoyingly loud.

I got them with 20% in April so they were £155 and for the quality I think they were a bargain when compared to other wheels in that price range. I certainly don't regret buying them.

Justinslow

Lovely jubbly
image.jpg
Yep, I have the "elite 30 ultra" standard narrow section rims 30mm depth, very lightweight for the money.
So far very impressed, built up using sapim spokes which seem easily replaceable if required. I just recently had the rear mech go into the wheel, my fault cross chaining under load up hill, the wheel stood up to it quite well, just a couple of bent spokes which my lbs was able to re tension and not even bother to replace, he did say several spokes were a little loose however, not sure if this was a result of the mech or whether they've always been that way. I did get them to check the front and that one was not so bad and only needed minor tweeking. Anyway all trued up again now and running sweet, infact the lbs commented that the hubs were good as they ran for ages on the jig when spun. Nice to know.
Superstar are well known and well respected in MTB circles but lesser known in road components, they offer a free rebuild service for crash damage and re truing (I'm guessing only labour) but obviously you have to pay the courier costs which is why I used my lbs as my rear was only slightly "wonky" and they turned it around in a day.
Overall, no complaints.

Top Bottom