Superstition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pawl

Legendary Member
Are you superstitious.

Did you wash the bedding etc on New Year’s Day.😩😩😩

It’s supposed to be bad luck to do the washing on New Years Day

classic33

Leg End Member
Never stir anything using your knife (like soup or coffee) because that would bring bad luck.
There’s even a lovely rhyme to help you remember: stir with a knife and stir up strife. One variant of this superstition includes the fact that the bad luck will mean pain or stitches.

A knife made of steel is believed to protect you against curses and fairies.

It does amuse me when people say they're not at all superstitious, and it's all hogwash, but still 'wish' you a Merry Christmas or a Happy Birthday.

On that, why don't we wish people a Happy Christmas and a Merry New Year? Why is it always the other way around?

Last edited:

Mad Doug Biker

Just a damaged guy.
It does amuse me when people say they're not at all superstitious, and it's all hogwash, but still 'wish' you a Merry Christmas or a Happy Birthday.

On that, why don't we wish people a Happy Christmas and a Merry New Year? Why is it always the other way around?

Touché, I had not thought of it like that!

It's just the social contructs you are taught since being a kid and it's merely a token saying, I think it actually means very much to most, if at all.

Last edited:
That's okay, I describe myself as a heathen, but I wish you well. :becool:

Just to be clear, I wasn't having a dig at you, or anyone else at all with my comment. It was just a light hearted observation.

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Have to be very careful when answering the phone to my Mum on New Year's Day. Otherwise the joyous strains of "Happy New Year" from her are curtailed by being very angry that my wife has put the washing machine on. Apparently this results in someone in the family dying, and as the oldest, she regards herself as in the firing line.

classic33

Leg End Member
Is there not something about stirring things clockwise? If you stir anti-clockwise you stir up the devil or something. :laugh:
Bad luck, and could have you burnt at the stake as a witch.
Bad luck would befall all who ate/drank the contents of the pot.

scragend

I don't see where the superstition is in wishing someone those things.

Superstition is "if you do/don't do X, bad things will happen". I'm not aware of any implication that if you don't wish someone a merry Christmas or happy birthday, bad things would happen. You're just saying you hope they have a nice time.

Top Bottom