Superstition

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
This is not superstition, it's catering good practice: for safety.

Good practice indeed but in his case at least there is more to it.
Cannot remember the detail but you could be handing the knife to an enemy who would take the opportunity to stab you. His explanation of point and edge facing away also had a sinister explanation.

roley poley

Veteran
SOME are based on a grain of fact eg..don't walk under a ladder because owt could be dropped on your head from the workers above..that's safety others are hoo ha

Magpies

I'm quite into the old rhyming song for magpies, and I used to cross my fingers/whistle when I saw one but I don't bother so much no more.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
I'm not sure what stition is. Why would one want to "super" it. I mean - you might get more than you bargained for in a bad way. If stition is bad that is.

Accy cyclist

Legendary Member
I try not to walk under ladders or break mirrors but the rest of it is utter bollocks.

Edit: I also try and muffle ringing glasses out of concern for seafarers.

That isn't just superstition, it's also, or should I say mostly common sense. As an ex window cleaner I'd see folk 'brave it' and walk under my ladder. Stuff drops down from those working up ladders. ladders and scaffolding are things you shouldn't really walk under, unless there isn't an alternative way and you have to.

Chief Broom

Veteran
I used to have a lucky red lighter....every time i went for a motorcycle ride i went through a regime of donning all my garb and always ensuring my lighter was in my pocket [dont spose it was lucky for smoking related health issues]. Anyhow one morning i couldnt find it and searched high and low until eventually finding it down the sofa - yay! ready to go.... :okay: 50 miles up the road i buried my Fazer 1000 into the side of a Citroen Saxo...broken leg really ruined my day :rolleyes:

Top Bottom