Supplementing Your Ride!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BuzzyJace

Hello,

I heard an interesting radio programme the other night about vitamin D deficiency in the general population etc etc. Apparently low levels of it have been implicated as potential factors in causing diabetes, depression and general ill health.

Anyway the long and short of it is that I'm often a bit sore and a bit stiff after riding, although stretching does go someway to ease that, and wondered if anyone else takes supplements to make them fitter faster stronger? If so, What, How, When, Why?

upsidedown

Waiting for the great leap forward
I think you get vitamin D from sunlight, so you should get plenty of that.
I take glucosamine and cod liver oil, no idea if they work or not.

summerdays

Cycling in the sun
I've always assumed I get enough Vit D from sunlight ... I think in wintertime you are most at risk - but I'm outside a reasonable amount - though mostly covered up in winter... how much can you absorb from your face:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
We should get plenty of Vit D from sunlight. But apparently one of the side effects of the increased use of high factor sunblock/covering up etc is an increase in deficiency (in children, leading to the first increase in cases of rickets since the industrial revolution, I heard somewhere). I heard advice the other day that people should make sure they get 10-15 minutes out in the sun without sunblock (I guess this is in moderate climes like ours, not Africa), to get their daily dose.

A friend who copy edits journals told me she'd read something about statins, the current wonder drug, more or less being vitamin D, so that instead of putting people on them, Docs should prescribe more time outdoors! But the drug companies can't charge us for being outdoors....

As for supplements: during rides, I generally try to take regular doses of a wheat/egg/gluscose based spongy matrix, often with extracts of cacao bean, along with a hot solution of tannin and caffeine mixed with lactose and calcium.;)

Arch said:
We should get plenty of Vit D from sunlight. But apparently one of the side effects of the increased use of high factor sunblock/covering up etc is an increase in deficiency (in children, leading to the first increase in cases of rickets since the industrial revolution, I heard somewhere). I heard advice the other day that people should make sure they get 10-15 minutes out in the sun without sunblock (I guess this is in moderate climes like ours, not Africa), to get their daily dose.

A friend who copy edits journals told me she'd read something about statins, the current wonder drug, more or less being vitamin D, so that instead of putting people on them, Docs should prescribe more time outdoors! But the drug companies can't charge us for being outdoors....

As for supplements: during rides, I generally try to take regular doses of a wheat/egg/gluscose based spongy matrix, often with extracts of cacao bean, along with a hot solution of tannin and caffeine mixed with lactose and calcium.;)
Take it you mean a cup of tea and a large slice of chocolate cake do you young Arch:biggrin:?

mr Mag00

rising member
if riding hard over a period of days i will supplement with multi vits, i also take glucosamine and magnesium everyday.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
I take glucosamine and fish oil (both recommended by doc for arthritic knee... jeez, I'm not even 50 yet ;) ) and a daily multivitamin. Generally though I have a pretty reasonable diet and get loads of fresh air.

longers

Legendary Member
I isn't no expert but have read you absorb the vit D making part of sunlight through your eyeballs. Hence the SAD lightboxes, you don't strip off in front of them do you?

BrumJim

Forum Stalwart (won't take the hint and leave...)
Good balanced diet and you don't need vitamin supplements - and since the body can't store them, you might as well cut out the middle man and just flush them down the toilet.

Top Bottom