Support your local shops - yeah.....right!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I needed a ceramic tap gland for my kitchen tap. Went down the local hardware store, which is usually quite good at pricing, all things considered.
£15.39 each!
Screwfix - 5 miles down the road - do 2 for £6.29.
I'm sorry, but local loyalty only goes so far.:angry:
I'd have been quite happy to spend, say, £7 a piece just to save the journey into town.
It does make you wonder.
No wonder local shops are struggling.

Similar story but the opposite way around to me. Couldn't believe that my local shops were cheaper than the big branded shops.

It depends on the item and depends on the shop.

classic33

Leg End Member
Used two local hardware shops. One closed(age), the other got new owners. Seldom use the one that got new owners.

It all depends on suppliers;for instance our shop sources Shimano parts from Madison the official Shimano distributor for the UK(as it has been for ages) so as many online suppliers source from elsewhere and have the buying power to get an even better price sothey can charge a lot less,I presume it's the same in this case.

Or they are not making any profit on them like Wiggle etc :whistle:

cosmicbike

Perhaps This One.....
I always find my local plumbers merchant cheaper than Screwfix, for plumbing bits. And I don't have to buy a pack of 5+ when I only need 1. Chap in there this morning wanted 1 O-ring for his sink waste, duly supplied for 10 pence, you can't do that at Screwfix.

screenman

Legendary Member
I needed a ceramic tap gland for my kitchen tap. Went down the local hardware store, which is usually quite good at pricing, all things considered.
£15.39 each!
Screwfix - 5 miles down the road - do 2 for £6.29.
I'm sorry, but local loyalty only goes so far.:angry:
I'd have been quite happy to spend, say, £7 a piece just to save the journey into town.
It does make you wonder.
No wonder local shops are struggling.

I bought and fitted a pair of those last Saturday, from Screwfix course.

stephec

Legendary Member
Opposite way round for me.

We had a local plumbing shop ran by an old guy who dished out good advice, once in the middle of changing my toilet I realised I needed something to complete the job.

I took in a rough diagram and explained my problem, after which he took me to the relevant shelf and added the missing bits, £10 all in.

Next day I had a look at B+Q and found the same things for £13, sadly though the shop closed about six months ago.

Apart from the big sheds all we now have locally is an independent building merchants who mainly deal with local trades, and treat you in a Not the Nine O'clock News hi fi sketch type of way if the mood takes them.

Top Bottom