Support your local shops - yeah.....right!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
I used to be a fan of screw fix and their low prices 2 decades ago but the quality was poor and prices are now significantly more than others. Toolstation is my new fave.

swansonj

Guru
I used to be a fan of screw fix and their low prices 2 decades ago but the quality was poor and prices are now significantly more than others. Toolstation is my new fave.
Actually, I largely agree. I fell in love with Srewfix in the old days when a catalogue that listed every kind of screw with every variant of head in every material and every length was a nerd's paradise. That is no longer such a novelty now, and their catalogue is increasingly consumerist and advertising rather than systematically functional.

But I still vastly prefer them to B&Q (and yes I do know they're the same firm).

screenman

Legendary Member
Actually, I largely agree. I fell in love with Srewfix in the old days when a catalogue that listed every kind of screw with every variant of head in every material and every length was a nerd's paradise. That is no longer such a novelty now, and their catalogue is increasingly consumerist and advertising rather than systematically functional.

But I still vastly prefer them to B&Q (and yes I do know they're the same firm).

You know they were both started by the same guy, at least that is my information.

KneesUp

Guru
Were the products absolutely identical OP - or is this the plumbing eqivalent of saying that Decathlon are selling cranksets for £19.99 and the LBS has the bloody cheek to ask £200 for one, with no mention of one being a heavy B'twin one and the other being a high end Campag?

I love my local hardware shop, and find that they are as good as B&Q or Screwfix (definietly the same company btw - but Screwfix are loads cheaper) for most things, and much cheaper for others. Plus when I go in thinking 'well, they'll not have an inverse-wongle adaptor but I'll go in anyway' they will not only have one, but Ill be able to bu just one rather than a packet containing the one I need and 9 more I'll loose before I need them.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Were the products absolutely identical OP - or is this the plumbing eqivalent of saying that Decathlon are selling cranksets for £19.99 and the LBS has the bloody cheek to ask £200 for one, with no mention of one being a heavy B'twin one and the other being a high end Campag?
Difficult to say - but how different can tap glands be?
They're probably both made in China anyway.
For one to be 5 times the price of the other, I would expect it to be made of exotic materials and have a lifetime guarantee; it wasn't. This is more the equivalent of my LBS selling the same item at a highly inflated price versus a discounted price from Chain Reaction.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
Someone who doesn't take an interest in bikes might ask how different two cranksets can be ...
They very well might; but having been involved in a plumbing and electrical business in the past, I think I could tell if two tap glands were significantly different from each other.

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Chainsaw accident last year had me scuttling down to the indie optician. All was ok, but they discovered my eyesight wasn’t legal so started wearing contacts and signed up to a monthly disposable subscription.

Over the first year, there were a few cock ups with this and check up appointments. I got the hump and decided to shop around. To my surprise, I found exactly the same deal AND free checkups with the latest equipment and tests for ONE THIRD of the price online.

I used to be all for indie retailers and their survival, but I couldn’t justify 3 times the price and crap customer service. I don't use any local shops in the town nearest to me and I only use Lidl in the next town. Almost everything I purchase is online.

OP
OP
Dirk

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I always use local shops where possible, so long as their prices aren't stupidly more than the big outlets or online.
Geography tends to force me to use internet shopping, as the nearest large shopping centres are around 60 - 70 miles away.

stephec

Legendary Member
Here's @nickyboy 's local shop. :biggrin:

p01zg0j8.jpg

Top Bottom