Surly Disc Trucker Or Alternatives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.

OP
OP
U

User16390

I'd give this bike consideration.

http://www.cycle-heaven.co.uk/bikes/type/touring-adventure-bikes/2017-ridgeback-expedition/

I have the 2016 model which I snapped up in a sale for £700 as I didn't personally approve of the shift to disc brakes (clearly won't trouble you) and by the by I personally much prefer the colour of the 2016 model.

But I think otherwise it is little changed.

A great bike. Comes all ready with everything you need, mudguards, rack, even a fitted pump.

Recently rode mine 165 miles in a single ride, some of it on the Dunwich Dynamo . Faultless. And it was very heavily loaded.**

It is still 9 speed.

Which I also much prefer - I think Surly has followed the bike industry into the madnessof 30 gears - why would you want them on a bike of that sort?

Oh it's got 26 inch wheels of course.

If you were interested you may have to move fast - already seems to be - as was the 2016 version - in very short supply. Of course that might mean discounts are available very soon. I may be able to point you at possible suppliers.

If you are interested feel free to ask me any questions.

** a very attractive blond woman on the final run into Dunwich said I was a hero but I can't guarantee that this comes included.

Oooh that does look nice. It looks pretty bomb proof. I could not see any links to purchase. I think I would like to put this on my shortlist, especially at that price. I am 6' 2''. Are there any still available ?

Oooh that does look nice. It looks pretty bomb proof. I could not see any links to purchase. I think I would like to put this on my shortlist, especially at that price. I am 6' 2''. Are there any still available ?
Can I ask where you are?

It might have an influence on where I look/who I suggest may be able to get hold of one.

In the meantime, you might be interested in reading this - the review that put me on to it - note that the beginning of the piece has been revised as he did not approve of, at least initially, the move to discs. But I think he still rates the bike and has in fact bought at least one of the 2017 models for his business.

http://www.bretonbikes.com/homepage...geback-expedition-26-touring-bike-2016-review

It is great value, partly because Ridgeback has access to particularly cheap Shimano bits.

I consider it excellently specced. Personally I would have preferred a square taper BB but that is a small point in view of its overall value.

Ah a quick snoop shows that you may be somewhere near wolverhampton.

Not my neck of the woods.

But Cambridge isn't the other side of the planet and I rode through the night from London and then back to check out mine. Then later rode it back.

Anyway, to cut to the chase, I bought it from these folk.

https://www.kingswaycycles.com/prod...bv=RIDGEBACK_Expedition_BIKES_Tourers_/_Audax

Excellent bike shop - very good to deal with.

I will also pm you with another discussion about it.

OP
OP
U

User16390

Can I ask where you are?

It might have an influence on where I look/who I suggest may be able to get hold of one.

In the meantime, you might be interested in reading this - the review that put me on to it - note that the beginning of the piece has been revised as he did not approve of, at least initially, the move to discs. But I think he still rates the bike and has in fact bought at least one of the 2017 models for his business.

http://www.bretonbikes.com/homepage...geback-expedition-26-touring-bike-2016-review

It is great value, partly because Ridgeback has access to particularly cheap Shimano bits.

I consider it excellently specced. Personally I would have preferred a square taper BB but that is a small point in view of its overall value.

I live in Birmingham. There is a direct train to Cambridge from Birmingham, so I can fit it in with a day out and a bit of sightseeing.

Thanks for the link I will definitely check it out.

Good luck fiveleaves.

To answer some of your questions in our pm conversation (in case someone is confused),

Brakes - yes, I think you are right. Bretonbikes makes some very good points about them for expedition use (for which I plan to use mine at some point) but for your use disc brakes are probably better.

Yes the wheels are not top top quality and you probably wouldn't want to trek across India fully loaded with them but they do have 36 spokes and are pretty decent. From a decent company. For getting on with they are absolutely fine - I have done 5 days of fully loaded (and I mean fully loaded) on them. They can always be changed later for something from Rose Bikes or Spa Cycles. I would recommend Rigida Sputnik rims for heavy duty use.

The tyres - mine are Schwalbe Marathon Cross tyres. I was unaware of these before buying the bike but I really like them. They appear tough but roll pretty well on the road. I don't know what the Marathon GG tyres are on the 2017 model - they may be decent - Ridgeback seem pretty sussed at specifying stuff. I would take a look at them/try them before getting involved with discussions/negotiations on changing them. I originally had doubts about the width of the bars (initially they seem very wide) and the bikeshop agreed to cut them if I wanted. But I decided to try them and have decided that Ridgeback were right :smile: They are fine as they are.

It's a great bike and comes with everything you need to get rolling - even ergo bar grips and bar ends which are really rather nice.

I agree with your point in your pm that any small things which are not quite to your liking can be changed for minimal cost.

As bretonbikes says this is as about as close as you are likely to get in a packaged bike deal to the ideal expedition bike.

Thoughts on the rack - as some have pointed out it does have a certain design weakness at the bottom so you would be best advised to swap it before setting off around the world. But as the nice Cambridge bike shop pointed out it does have certain strengths - it is specially made for the bike (probably won't fit anything else too easily!) and as such has no extra joining struts at the top. This makes it very stable. Mine performed fine on my recent trip - two fully loaded panniers, four (yes 4) drybags on top of the rack. So much weight the bike was quite hard to manoeuvre when off the bike. But all rolled beautifully. Not a trace of wobble from rack or bike frame.

Only weak point I can think of is the paintwork - it scratches from locking quite easily. But this is common on modern bikes - my Hewitt, which cost far far more, is worse. My 20 year old Ridgebacks are way superior. Something to do with modern H&S regs on paintshops I think. This may be less noticable with the new colour.

That's all I can think of for now. If I think of anything else I will add it. If you have any more questions just ask. Good luck with the Cambridge shop - I shall follow your progress on this thread (whichever bike you end up with) with interest.

Edit - if you do get to that nice shop do say hello to/ask after the shop dog :smile:

Last edited:
One other thought - the Ridgeback has a sloping top tube. Some folk, me included, actually prefer this. The LHT I think has a pretty level tube - a fine fine frame for sure but this did put me off. Along with its move, at least in its packaged form to 10 speed.

OP
OP
U

User16390

Good luck fiveleaves.

To answer some of your questions in our pm conversation (in case someone is confused),

Brakes - yes, I think you are right. Bretonbikes makes some very good points about them for expedition use (for which I plan to use mine at some point) but for your use disc brakes are probably better.

Yes the wheels are not top top quality and you probably wouldn't want to trek across India fully loaded with them but they do have 36 spokes and are pretty decent. From a decent company. For getting on with they are absolutely fine - I have done 5 days of fully loaded (and I mean fully loaded) on them. They can always be changed later for something from Rose Bikes or Spa Cycles. I would recommend Rigida Sputnik rims for heavy duty use.

The tyres - mine are Schwalbe Marathon Cross tyres. I was unaware of these before buying the bike but I really like them. They appear tough but roll pretty well on the road. I don't know what the Marathon GG tyres are on the 2017 model - they may be decent - Ridgeback seem pretty sussed at specifying stuff. I would take a look at them/try them before getting involved with discussions/negotiations on changing them. I originally had doubts about the width of the bars (initially they seem very wide) and the bikeshop agreed to cut them if I wanted. But I decided to try them and have decided that Ridgeback were right :smile: They are fine as they are.

It's a great bike and comes with everything you need to get rolling - even ergo bar grips and bar ends which are really rather nice.

I agree with your point in your pm that any small things which are not quite to your liking can be changed for minimal cost.

As bretonbikes says this is as about as close as you are likely to get in a packaged bike deal to the ideal expedition bike.

Thoughts on the rack - as some have pointed out it does have a certain design weakness at the bottom so you would be best advised to swap it before setting off around the world. But as the nice Cambridge bike shop pointed out it does have certain strengths - it is specially made for the bike (probably won't fit anything else too easily!) and as such has no extra joining struts at the top. This makes it very stable. Mine performed fine on my recent trip - two fully loaded panniers, four (yes 4) drybags on top of the rack. So much weight the bike was quite hard to manoeuvre when off the bike. But all rolled beautifully. Not a trace of wobble from rack or bike frame.

Only weak point I can think of is the paintwork - it scratches from locking quite easily. But this is common on modern bikes - my Hewitt, which cost far far more, is worse. My 20 year old Ridgebacks are way superior. Something to do with modern H&S regs on paintshops I think. This may be less noticable with the new colour.

That's all I can think of for now. If I think of anything else I will add it. If you have any more questions just ask. Good luck with the Cambridge shop - I shall follow your progress on this thread (whichever bike you end up with) with interest.

Edit - if you do get to that nice shop do say hello to/ask after the shop dog :smile:

Unfortunately the suppliers are completely out of stock of this years model. Cambridge cannot get any and the two West Midlands dealers in Ridgeback cannot either. Next Years model does not come out until mid September, so what I am going to do is wait until the Bike Show at the NEC in September as Ridgeback/Genesis have a stand there and hopefully they will have one to take a look at.

+1 for surly DT. Here's my 56cm 700c Disc Trucker: https://imgur.com/a/UBePF

Bought the frame used on ebay (~£200) then built it up myself, with the exception of the LBS fitting the BB/headset (didn't have the tools at the time).

It hauls very well, and it's ideal for poor weather commuting, bit heavy though, you'll not win any races, but it's tough, compliant, and a joy to ride. I love how it will take 47mm tyres too (44 is max with guards). Haven't needed to go that big though, happy with 37mm.

Going for a used but nearly new frame meant I most likely came in or just over the cost of the stock model, but obviously this is much better specification, with a mix of XT/Deore components, hand built wheels (sputnik rims, SPD PD-8 dynamo/XT hub), brooks saddle etc. Lights and rack extra panniers not included in that cost though, as that would be an unfair comparison. But all in cost me about £1500. The bike feels like it might last forever.

Last edited:
Sorry to hear that Fiveleaves.

I take it that if these shops have said the supplier has none there is no point any other bike shops I might suggest checking either.

They must have sent very few indeed to the UK, possibly even less than the 2016 model. Hell it's only July.

I was very lucky to buy my 2016 model in February of this year. I had the impression that it may have been the last one left in the country. Lucky the size was OK for me - somewhat bigger than I would normally take but all appears fine.

If you are holding on until September I take it that you are seriously interested in it?

lets just hope that they don't change anything dramatic in next year's model - or even discontinue it - the bike industry is plagued by unnecessary "product development/improvement. Though at least they moved it from drops. It was around but without drops until the 2016 model came along.

If I hear of anything I will post on here or get in touch with you directly.

I take it you will be after the largest size?

Fingers crossed.

OP
OP
U

User16390

Sorry to hear that Fiveleaves.

I take it that if these shops have said the supplier has none there is no point any other bike shops I might suggest checking either.

They must have sent very few indeed to the UK, possibly even less than the 2016 model. Hell it's only July.

I was very lucky to buy my 2016 model in February of this year. I had the impression that it may have been the last one left in the country. Lucky the size was OK for me - somewhat bigger than I would normally take but all appears fine.

If you are holding on until September I take it that you are seriously interested in it?

lets just hope that they don't change anything dramatic in next year's model - or even discontinue it - the bike industry is plagued by unnecessary "product development/improvement. Though at least they moved it from drops. It was around but without drops until the 2016 model came along.

If I hear of anything I will post on here or get in touch with you directly.

I take it you will be after the largest size?

Fingers crossed.

Yup, I will need an XL, I am 6' 2". I am very interested, if you do come across one in my size, let me know I will be most appreciative.

Top Bottom