Surly Disc Trucker Or Alternatives

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I am thinking of purchasing a Surly Disc Trucker after cracking the aluminium frame on my Dawes Vantage after an argument with the local road surface and some spilt diesel. I lost ending up with a broken wrist. After 5 weeks in a cast I am ready to get back in the saddle.

My replacement bike needs to carry really heavy panniers. I use my bike for all my transport needs, carrying shopping home and lugging gardening tools around. When not doing this I need my bike to be able to carry a tent sleeping bag etc so I can hit the country roads when the fancy takes me.

I prefer a steel frame, less twitchy under load in my experience

Decent wheels and hubs.

I fancy the idea of disc brakes, I ride in the wet and like the idea of added stopping power, especially as my bike is normally fully loaded.

So my new bike needs to be a workhorse, reliable and tough, but one that I could use for weekends out with camping gear.

Is this the bike for me? Or are there other alternatives out there just as good or better. for the price

http://spacycles.co.uk/m1b0s21p3033/SURLY-Disc-Trucker

Last edited:

Tangoup51

your frame cracked from dropping on the ground? or did you crash head-on? why not buy another Dawes Vantage if it's worked for you this far.

Personally, that surly disc is waayy more expensive than i'd pay for a bike i'm wanting to Rag everyday under heavy work load.

More expensive bikes don't always mean they're going to be built to last longer and that "no-nonsense" steel frame design doesn't give you any additional strength that I'd personally find comforting over a standard cheap-end alloy bike.

Personally, when I came to touring bikes I found myself much more invested in the cheaper-end bikes. - I liked the fact that they were cheap, so i wouldn't care so much about snapping a frame in the next 3 years or so, Plus, the frames themselves are typically chunky because manufactures don't care to lose weight by shedding material off it, so to me, they're always the true work horses. Cheap, thick, reliable.

I just bolted newer wheels (put on a disc-brake fork) and upgraded gearing to those cheaper framed touring bikes, so they're just as fun to ride, infact, no, more fun because I don't feel bad about spending so little and abusing the frame so much. Easy come, easy go, would hate to spend thousands on a bike i'm going to be stressing like a b*gger.

Last edited:
OP
OP
U

User16390

your frame cracked from dropping on the ground? or did you crash head-on? why not buy another Dawes Vantage if it's worked for you this far.

Personally, that surly disc is waayy more expensive than i'd pay for a bike i'm wanting to Rag everyday under heavy work load.

More expensive bikes don't always mean they're going to be built to last longer and that "no-nonsense" steel frame design doesn't give you any additional strength that I'd personally find comforting over a standard cheap-end alloy bike.

Personally, when I came to touring bikes I found myself much more invested in the cheaper-end bikes. - I liked the fact that they were cheap, so i wouldn't care so much about snapping a frame in the next 3 years or so, Plus, the frames themselves are typically chunky because manufactures don't care to lose weight by shedding material off it, so to me, they're always the true work horses. Cheap, thick, reliable.

I just bolted newer wheels (put on a disc-brake fork) and upgraded gearing to those cheaper framed touring bikes, so they're just as fun to ride, infact, no, more fun because I don't feel bad about spending so little and abusing the frame so much. Easy come, easy go, would hate to spend thousands on a bike i'm going to be stressing like a b*gger.

The frame has cracked near the derailleur hanger, I only noticed it after the crash. I am assuming it happened at that moment.

That is a fair point about using a bike that expensive day in day out. I will take a look and cheaper workhorses and give it some thought over the next week or so which option to go for.

Last edited:

Heltor Chasca

Out-riding the Black Dog
Of all the bikes I've had, or have, and I was faced with choosing just one for everything, it would be my Surly DT.

It isn't expensive. It is very good value and you get a lot of bike and well thought out components. It is a very good one for your money. I use it for all the tricks you plan on using yours for. Over 3 years it has been a fantastic bike with no issues. It comes in a multitude of sizes so you'll end up with a fit that is as comfy as a sofa. I can ride mine all day long and up very steep hills. The only things I've changed are the handlebars which I swapped to Cowchippers and I have set up a Dynamo hub for lighting and charging devices. I have fitted Tubus racks to both ends and run 26x 1.75 tyres in preference to the stock supplied. I'm sure Spa will help out with your wish list.

I have an ox blood frame and I saw a blue one on last weekend's 200km Audax in their new blue. Utterly stunning. Surly are a clever bunch.

Last edited:
+1 Surly D-LHT if you've regularly loading it both front and rear. If only rear most of the time, then go with the Straggler.

My Cross Check is my daily work horse - London commuting, Sustrans tracks, you name it - 8 years old and in remarkable condition. I bought it before the Straggler came out - kicked myself a bit because I do prefer disc brakes - so fitted a Straggler fork to the CC so at least I have discs on the front.

Nearly bomb proof bikes - worth every penny.

OP
OP
U

User16390

+1 for a Surly LHT. I've had my non-disk version for five years, covered a lot of miles (including a LEJOGLE). It's strong enough to carry your panniers, comfortable enough to give a good ride over the bumpy roads of Oxford and fast enough to ride audaxes and club runs. If a disk version had been available in 2012, I would have bought that.

A couple of thoughts about the Spa version - it's 9 speed and the latest is 10. It has their version of a leather saddle - I'd upgrade to a Brooks. You also might want to check out the quality of their rims - I'm not sure how bomb-proof they'd be.

I would prefer to buy a Surly from a reputable West Midlands bike shop, a friend of mine recommends Fred Williams Cycles in Wolverhampton, he has five road bikes all from them and he is very happy with their standard of service, knowing how OCD he is they must be ok. Was yours from a local bike shop in Oxford?

I will fit my Brooks C17 to whichever bike I finally choose, the comfiest saddle I have ever had. Any recommendation on rims.

ozboz

Guru
I've got a Surley CC ,
Very comfy ride. And will take in excess of 170 ks laden according to Surley , I fitted a triple crank , Schwalbe Land Crusers , going to ditch the handle bars and bar end shifters, for flat bars and MTB style shifters for touring purposes , I do use it for work and carry some tools , they are work horse , the powder coating doesn't seem to take much to mark and scratch , and the decals have begun to come off Ive had it 18 months now , but all in all pretty damn good !

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
I have a Surly Long Haul Trucker (the last model year before discs). I love it, although I built mine up from the bits I liked, rather than buying the Surly specc'ed complete - I had some of the bits in the shed too, which made it a cheaper build.

I did a little tour on it in 2009, and since then it's been a 150 mile per week commuter. Great bike.

I'd give this bike consideration.

http://www.cycle-heaven.co.uk/bikes/type/touring-adventure-bikes/2017-ridgeback-expedition/

I have the 2016 model which I snapped up in a sale for £700 as I didn't personally approve of the shift to disc brakes (clearly won't trouble you) and by the by I personally much prefer the colour of the 2016 model.

But I think otherwise it is little changed.

A great bike. Comes all ready with everything you need, mudguards, rack, even a fitted pump.

Recently rode mine 165 miles in a single ride, some of it on the Dunwich Dynamo . Faultless. And it was very heavily loaded.**

It is still 9 speed.

Which I also much prefer - I think Surly has followed the bike industry into the madnessof 30 gears - why would you want them on a bike of that sort?

Oh it's got 26 inch wheels of course.

If you were interested you may have to move fast - already seems to be - as was the 2016 version - in very short supply. Of course that might mean discounts are available very soon. I may be able to point you at possible suppliers.

If you are interested feel free to ask me any questions.

** a very attractive blond woman on the final run into Dunwich said I was a hero but I can't guarantee that this comes included.

Last edited:
thanks for the like mr monkey - should add that if I hadn't gone for that bike (after glowing praise for it from someone who knows their stuff) I would have almost certainly gone in the end for an LHT - personally specced though - non disc. And 3x9.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
thanks for the like mr monkey - should add that if I hadn't gone for that bike (after glowing praise for it from someone who knows their stuff) I would have almost certainly gone in the end for an LHT - personally specced though - non disc. And 3x9.
TBH, I'm surprised that a company like Surly has gone to 3x10! I specced my own Trucker 3x9 (albeit with quite high gearing, b/c I had one eye on commuting on it).

Top Bottom