Surly Long Haul Trucker

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Pottsy

Pottsy

Still waiting for it. :biggrin:

It was due into the shop at the end of March and then they're fitting a few bits before mailing it to me. Hopefully I'll get it in the next week or two. Before Easter would be good so that I can spend the long weekend building it.

I'll take some pics and post them up here when it's ready.

OP
OP
Pottsy

Pottsy

Cathryn said:
Two Bikes Pottsy. A Gov'nor AND LHT!!

Git.

:blush: I'll take that as appreciation of good taste.

I've also got a custom Condor Moda (titanium road bike) and an old Kona Explosif MTB made into a sort of hack/pub bike, so 4 in all. :tongue: It would have been 5 but my Pompino fixed was stolen last year. :blush:

Still cheaper than a car though I suppose.

How many do you have? Surely 4 is the minimum? :ohmy:

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Cathryn said:
I have one. Just the one solitary bike. I'm not a proper cyclist.

just not good enough, you need a commuter, then you need a back up commuter for when that's being repaired. Next you need a leave anywhere bike for pootling and finally a good bike for your weekend 'racing' fun.

Worryingly I actually believe that:ohmy:

OP
OP
Pottsy

Pottsy

Awww Cathryn. By reading about your tours I think you're more of a cyclist at heart than most. :tongue:

After all you can only use one at a time can't you?!

MichaelM

Guru
I've got 5.

The Orbea hasn't been used since last summer. The Lemond hasn't been used since I bought the Orbea (and so may have to go to make space for a tourer). Used the Pompino over the winter months.* Full sus hasn't been used since last summer - neither has the the ss mtb.

* Up to Dec that is, snow & ice ruled out riding for a few weeks.
Then had the head drilled and chiseled to clear surfers ear.
Still using crutches three weeks after knee incident.

All in all, haven't been out on a bike since the begining of December. Having one and riding it seems the best option!

Cathryn

Legendary Member
Pottsy said:
Awww Cathryn. By reading about your tours I think you're more of a cyclist at heart than most. :angry:

After all you can only use one at a time can't you?!

I've tried very hard to justify more than one bike, but I can't.

I live 5 mins walk from work, so literally can't commute by bike. I'm scared of speed, so a road bike would be wasted on me. I'm not an off-roader, so I don't need a MTB. I would die rather than have a folder or a recumbent (sorry). My husband refuses to ride a tandem with me. The only bike I could get away with would be a Pashley. To be elegant on.

OP
OP
Pottsy

Pottsy

Well I sometime think I'm in agreement with you and some of the above posts imply this too. I think I have several bikes largely because I like them rather than because I can justify them by the amount and different types of use. I reckon I could get away with just a good, tough Audax type bike that I could tour and ride for general pleasure use. Oh and perhaps a fixed just for fun around town.

style over speed

riding a f**king bike
Sorry to jump on your thread, but seeing as there's no pictures I thought I'd post some of my long haul trucker. I finished building it up just after christmas, its the 26" wheel size and fabulous to ride. :evil:

MichaelM

Guru
That's a tough looking bike, but I've got to ask....

what is that strange looking toe strap on the pedal? It looks as though it runs from the front to the rear as if to prevent you getting your foot in!

The bike looks good though.

OP
OP
Pottsy

Pottsy

Finished!!! :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

It took a while to build over a few weekend.

http://i87.photobucket.com/albums/k127/grahampotts/DSCN0150.jpg

Hope that link works.;)

Broadly speaking the specs are:

52cm Surly Long Haul Trucker frame and forks
Shimano XT chainset, both mechs, cassette
SRAM chain
XT hubs and Mavic rims
Marathon Plus tyres
Tektro CR720 cantilever brakes
Cane Creek SCR5 levers
FSA stem and compact drop bars
Cane Creek headset
Cateye computer
Specialized Bar Phat tape
Brooks saddle
Thomson seat post
Tubus racks
SKS mudguards
errr, that's about it.

All works and goes well. Quite heavy but it was built to be quite expedition orientated.

I'm chuffed.:thumbsup:

Top Bottom