Surly ..... re-build and parts uograde

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ozboz

Guru
Hiya , I’m doing this to get my mind off all this doom and gloom.i am finding it unsettling .

I posted a month ago that I had retrieved my Surly that was nicked last August , it was mainly unscathed but there was some damage to brake levers and and shifters , front wheel a bit buckled and the back tyre was almost thread bare and there is a very nasty scrawp on the crossbar ,
So , time to get this lovely ride back on the frog and toad !!
The idea is to put new shifters and levers , put an 10 speed 11-42 cassette on and put a wider size tyres on , new saddle and other bits and bobs. I’m not sure how to tackle the damage to cross bar , it was powder coated in a tangerine colour by Surly, I’ll have a look on websites to see if I can find a solution , I doubt I could find a paint match in a durable paint ,
Anyway, that’s the plan !!
Ok so, Keep safe

I don't know about surrey but round here I can get a frame and forks bead blasted and powder coated for £35, and they do a top notch job too. good luck and don't forget we like pics.

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
I don't know about surrey but round here I can get a frame and forks bead blasted and powder coated for £35, and they do a top notch job too. good luck and don't forget we like pics.
Hiya, which company is that ? I had a classic GT frame done around here in powder coat an it was not a very good job at all , I let it go because it was an MTB but I’ll be very fussy about this one , it’s very special to me,

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru

this the coating damage

OP
OP
ozboz

ozboz

Guru
That’s a cracking thing you are doing for the DSA, I’ll donate for that , I have personal reasons for doing it ,
Well done you and your Gang !!
Edit,
I think I’ve just cocked up on the payment page , I’ll wait and see if any emails come through , and the try again

Last edited:
Hiya, which company is that ? I had a classic GT frame done around here in powder coat an it was not a very good job at all , I let it go because it was an MTB but I’ll be very fussy about this one , it’s very special to me,

stockport powdercoating,

http://www.stockportpowdercoating.com/

you can see the results in this thread

https://www.cyclechat.net/threads/restoration-twenty.148038/

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Wrong thread perchance?
Not really , in the footer of @I like Skol post he has put up info and I am responding to it , can’t see a problem with that
Riding with @nickyboy and two others to raise money for Downs Syndrome Association - www.cyclechat.net/threads/nickyboys-2020-lejog-for-downs-syndrome-association.254942
Fingers crossed now that the corona virus doesn't cause us too much trouble but it is beginning to look like we will have to move the dates back a couple of months :sad:

Crankarm

Guru
Hiya , I’m doing this to get my mind off all this doom and gloom.i am finding it unsettling .

I posted a month ago that I had retrieved my Surly that was nicked last August , it was mainly unscathed but there was some damage to brake levers and and shifters , front wheel a bit buckled and the back tyre was almost thread bare and there is a very nasty scrawp on the crossbar ,
So , time to get this lovely ride back on the frog and toad !!
The idea is to put new shifters and levers , put an 10 speed 11-42 cassette on and put a wider size tyres on , new saddle and other bits and bobs. I’m not sure how to tackle the damage to cross bar , it was powder coated in a tangerine colour by Surly, I’ll have a look on websites to see if I can find a solution , I doubt I could find a paint match in a durable paint ,
Anyway, that’s the plan !!
Ok so, Keep safe

Which Surly? There are many. Would it be a X-Check as in your avatar?

Crankarm

Guru
Well at least you got it back. Many disappear never to be seen again like my first Brompton.

X-Check is basically the Straggler but with rim brakes?

Top Bottom