Surrey police crack down on Box Hill cyclists

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
'In addition, we have had complaints regarding the inappropriate speed of some cyclists in the narrow and winding lanes around the Surrey Hills.'

Now I accept that might be true. I accept I myself have come down some of those lanes at speeds some might consider inappropriate. I accept that the number of cyclists using the Surrey Hills has shot up recently and I have seen some people, including those kitted out in club kit, riding like c*cks.

But in addition Surrey Police have had complaints regarding the inappropriate speed of most car drivers in the narrow and winding lanes around the Surrey Hills and have done c*ck all about it.

Yes, I think those cyclists riding at inappropriate speeds probably are holding up motorists who wish to drive at even more inappropriate speeds.

Sorry to say that wha'ts important to Joe Bloggs..Parking on verges, dog fouling, litter etc really isn't a police issue, however we have to spend time dealing with these issues instead of doing proactive burglary patrols, entering peoples houses with our big red key and taking away thier drugs, dealing with car crime etc.

However, if individual cyclists are acting in a manner that is causing a POLICING issue then it should be dealt with on an individual basis.

+1 Been saying this ever since neighbourhood policing came out!

freecyclist

it didn't - but I wouldn't have thought, listening to the barrister at the appeal, that a prosecution for 'holding up traffic' would get very far, and I would think that the CDF would get involved if they thought the cyclists had been behaving responsibly. If you're behaving badly, menacing pedestrians, or riding on the wrong side of the road, that's a different matter.

Whether Surrey Police are enforcing anything is open to debate. They're handing out leaflets. I'm taking a ride of, perhaps, 70 to 100 cyclists through Surrey in October, and I'm not going to lose sleep over it - but that's because I'm confident that people will ride sensibly.

Your website and the vidoe evidence would suggest the contrary.
You seem to be the selfappointed defender of the faith as far as loutish and inconsiderate group cycling goes.
One question.
Rather than just knee jerk knuckle dragging defiance woudnt a more responsible response have been to say :
"Sometimes the behaviour of cyclists riding in large groups is not acceptable and does give cyclists a bad name. All cyclists should take on board the advice of the police and cooperate whole heartedly"

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
You seem to be the selfappointed defender of the faith as far as loutish and inconsiderate group cycling goes.
One question.
Rather than just knee jerk knuckle dragging defiance woudnt a more responsible response have been to say :
"Sometimes the behaviour of cyclists riding in large groups is not acceptable and does give cyclists a bad name. All cyclists should take on board the advice of the police and cooperate whole heartedly"
mad as a box of frogs!

downfader

extimus uero philosophus
One question.

In what way, exactly, have his fellow riders caused a problem?

EDIT: and I'll add that Vike adds some very salient points. Some people may in fact be complaining out of a dislike rather than an actual problem.

Jmetz

Am I the only one who read the 'slowing down part' as though it was relating to the riding more than two abreast. If so, what's the problem with the flyer.

henshaw11

Am I the only one who read the 'slowing down part' as though it was relating to the riding more than two abreast. If so, what's the problem with the flyer.

Because it's bit bloomin' cheeky, when the real problem is people driving like c*cks - and inconsiderate driving in their part is potentially dangerous rather than just an inconvenience. Plus - as has been suggested - it may well be idiots complaining about cyclists taking up 'their' road because they're ignorant of the law/HC/lacking sense (amply demonstrated by the number of muppets that try to overtake me at pinch points or on blind corners, or try to direct me to keep over)

There's the A24 nearby where you wouldn't so much get 3-abreast, but would be > 2 staggered (I guess, given that I'm generally billy no-mates on a 'bent), and still leave a lane free, some of the other roads round there are either residential or narrow so hooning round them in a car isn't very advisable anyway.

I daresay there are some people behaving like idiots, but it's a bit like complaining about a spot on yer backside when you can't be bothered to wipe yer 4rse. Or something like that.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
clubs have been riding the roads around Box Hill for sixty years to my knowledge. This leaflet is not going to change that.

One question.

I'm happy to be in that group which you so inadequately describe.

Which gives me loutish reason to sigh menacingly.

Dellzeqq is no 'self-appointed defender of the faith' anyway. He's got the 'hit squad' to sort out his troubles if and when they arise. We just trash cars if they get in the way, with rarely a complaint from the driver - they can't say much swinging from a tree in the dead of night I suppose...

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I'm happy to be in that group which you so inadequately describe.

Which gives me loutish reason to sigh menacingly.

Dellzeqq is no 'self-appointed defender of the faith' anyway. He's got the 'hit squad' to sort out his troubles if and when they arise. We just trash cars if they get in the way, with rarely a complaint from the driver - they can't say much swinging from a tree in the dead of night I suppose...

:thumbsup:

lukesdad

I think there is quite a lot of history here. I rode around the boxhill area a lot in the early to mid 70s, not really a lot of cycleactivity then clubs or otherwise. There was however a big problem with motorcyclists illegal hill climbing and drag racing along the mad mile. Perhaps Surrey Police have these problems at the back of their minds ?

Top Bottom