Survey for biking gadget

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Teamfixed

Tim Lewis
Hi,
I am a teacher of Design Technology in the UK, I teach GCSE Product design and Btec Engineering.
I am guessing that you are looking at the design of a device from a product analysis and consumer point of view? although you have not made that clear. Obviously there will be no meaningful manufacture going on here and you are not going to be discussing/designing/modelling anything in the least bit new so lets assume that this is a survey to test the feasibility of a product and to determine who the likely users might be and why.
You really must do some analysis on that survey of yours, it is far too broad and I'm sorry to say a bit illogical. Research like this should be informing you quite specifically and needs to have some focus. For example...
*The age question needs changing, are you giving this to a 5yr old??? What is "other", less than 5? Is this product for a child?! Re-write with much broader ranges starting from 18.
*What does having children or not got to do with it? Would this be a tracking device? WHY?
*Do you ride bikes? "NO" ok, that completes the survey! or does it? why ask then?
*How many gadgets do you have? 1?, 10?, 25? whats the point of this question? Too broad, what gadgets? This question is absolutely key and needs expanding. You have not mentioned existing products???!!! (or product types) why don't you want to know what people already use???!!!
*Prefer headphones or speakers? on a bike? in the bath?
*Spend more than $100? on what please??? for me? a gift? when? why?
*Have I ever got lost or injured? Yes both! Where? how? in what? with what? while doing what? Why? How might you have not got lost? Key question here! EXPAND!!! Existing products again!
You have asked questions but few of them inform you of any useful facts because they are too vague and generalized and do not build into a clear picture of a target market. I suggest you go ask a good number of people to critique your survey including some teachers and have a go at re-writing it.

Last edited:
Hi,
I am a teacher of Design Technology in the UK, I teach GCSE Product design and Btec Engineering.
I am guessing that you are looking at the design of a device from a product analysis and consumer point of view? although you have not made that clear. Obviously there will be no meaningful manufacture going on here and you are not going to be discussing/designing/modelling anything in the least bit new so lets assume that this is a survey to test the feasibility of a product and to determine who the likely users might be and why.
You really must do some analysis on that survey of yours, it is far too broad and I'm sorry to say a bit illogical. Research like this should be informing you quite specifically and needs to have some focus. For example...
*The age question needs changing, What is "other", less than 5? Is this product for a child?! Re-write with much broader ranges starting from 18.
*What does having children or not got to do with it? Would this be a tracking device?
*Do you ride bikes? "NO" ok, that completes the survey! or does it? why ask?
*How many gadgets do you have? 1?, 10?, 25? whats the point of this question? Too broad what gadgets? This question is absolutely key and needs expanding existing products???!!!
*Prefer headphones or speakers? on a bike? in the bath?
*Spend more than $100? on what please???
*Have I ever got lost or injured? Yes both. Where? how? in what? with what? while doing what? Why? How might you have not got lost?
You have asked a lot of questions that will not inform you of any useful facts because they are too vague and generalized and do not build into a clear picture of a target market. I suggest you go ask a good number of people to critique your survey including some teachers and have a go at re-writing it.

I agree - my wife used to produce questionaries and surveys professionally and she says that you need to focus on how to analyse the questions and what you want to get out of them BEFORE deciding on the questions
In other words look at what you need - then work out the question to find that out

so for example
NOT - what age groups are we looking at
BUT - do different age groups require different things - THEN which age group(s) is best for us to aim at
then every question after can be analysed by age group as well as everything else

she could put it better
(but would probably take a lot longer!!!)

So far, the OP hasn't returned, or seen any of the replies!
In fairness, they can see the completed surveys without ever logging in and they don't need to be logged in to read the responses here.

That's unusual. :okay:

Probably forgotten where they posted it. :whistle:
A tad unfair?
They've received some pretty strident criticism. There's not many that would return to an online forum after that.

The flip side is that if they do they could learn a whole lot more than they ever expected.

The chances are we're dealing with a teenager, most likely from across the pond who probably posted here because very few fora allow people to post surveys so easily. When I was in their place I was grateful for the people who were helpful.

Slick

Guru
In fairness, they can see the completed surveys without ever logging in and they don't need to be logged in to read the responses here.

A tad unfair?
They've received some pretty strident criticism. There's not many that would return to an online forum after that.

The flip side is that if they do they could learn a whole lot more than they ever expected.

The chances are we're dealing with a teenager, most likely from across the pond who probably posted here because very few fora allow people to post surveys so easily. When I was in their place I was grateful for the people who were helpful.

Yes almost definitely.

Top Bottom