Survey: LED Turn Signals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
+1 for the wobbling/weaving as long as its into the road and not towards the kerb as for indicating I buy gloves/mitts with a retro-reflective flash on them for that after dark.

byegad

Legendary Member
Total waste of time. An arm sticking out more than two feet from the cyclist's body is a clear signal. A flashy light close to the centre of the bike will be ignored.

byegad

Legendary Member
I really appreciate all the replies everyone, thank you.
GentlyBenevolent, their hasn't been any research directly stating that performing hand signals is a major factor, however I wouldn't rule it out. During my research, a very good source was the ROSPA Factsheet which I will link below:

http://www.rospa.com/roadsafety/advice/cycling/info/cycling_accidents_factsheet.pdf

Things such as ‘poor turn/manoeuvre’ is what I wanted to focus on with LED turn Signals. It could be argued that cyclists who aren't comfortable using hand signals while on the move, LED turn Signals can provide the option to still alert others and be in full control. I guess to more experienced cyclists this might seem rather excessive, since they are used to hand signals and it's not the only reason for poor turns and such.

Re the underlined!
Shouldn't be on the road.

GrasB

Veteran
Left hooks are where someone goes past you and turns left when you're going straight on. What you've described is a lousy bit of overtaking while doing a left turn. I'm usually half a car's width out from the side when turning left and give a very clear signal. The combination nearly always results in cars staying behind until past the turn.

It's up to you how you ride, but if you're having problems have a look at Cyclecraft. Good advice on road positioning which prevents anyone overtaking you during a left turn. As for overtaking when you do a right turn, that's idiotic enough driving that signalling or not is unlikely to make a difference. I've had that on a motorbike but not a pedal cycle but don't doubt it happens. Did have one occasion when a taxi driver went round the right hand side of a traffic light island while I was waiting for the light to change to turn right, again no amount of signalling or otherwise would alter that driving behaviour.

My most common cause for near misses has always been drivers pulling out of turnings on the left when I'm approaching them, needless to say not signalling because I'm going straight on. Can result in retrospective hand signals not shown in the HC.
Video footage shows I get cutup when signalling left about about 30% of the time, about 25% of those are so dangerous that I end up having to stop or near stop in the road before continuing my left turn. I get cutup when not signalling left about 2% of the only on 1 occasion did I have to brake to a near stop.... why don't I bother to signal for a left turn anymore?

Oh it's worth mentioning I spend about 60-70% of my time on a bike in primary before turning left.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I spend the vast majority of my time in secondary (to be fair a solid secondary) do almost all my riding in an urban environment and can't remember the last time I was turned across turning left. Although my route, now I think about it, doesn't involve many left turns in to minor roads. Actually, I do it once on a minor road going in (twice on even quieter roads than that) and never going back.

LauraTC79

In theory it's a great idea. I for one hate raising my arm as it gives me less control of the bike, however, drivers of cars, buses etc. expect to see cyclists raise their arm, and are not looking for indicators. I think this may actually lead to more accidents because drivers are less likely to notice you.

Top Bottom