Survey: LED Turn Signals

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GentlyBenevolent

Turn signals for cycles seem to be a recurring theme, but I'm unsure as to the drive behind making them. Has there been some research into cycle accidents where a hand turn signal has been the major causal factor? e.g. lost control, surrounding traffic didn't see the signal, signal couldn't be given (using the brakes?)?

Adding turn signals and brake lights just seem to be trying to solve cycle safety by making them into cars. This will just make traffic see cyclists as a "vehicle" rather than an exposed person, and we'll get even less space on the road. There's also issues in that the turn signals aren't sufficiently spaced out, making it hard for traffic to identify if it's a left or right turn.

If you have any insight I'd love to read it.

winjim

Smash the cistern
I believe there is no such thing as an electric turn signal for a bike. As far as I am aware the meaning of a flashing orange light on a bicycle is undefined. The arrow ones are especially dangerous as they could be taken to mean "pass on the right"

sidevalve

Über Member
Exactly the same arguments were put for/against indicators on cars and m/cycles in the 30/40/50s [the trafficators were never very good]. However the problem with bicycles is they MUST be light which equates to small which equates to either A - flimsy and unreliable or B - too heavy. Secondly when fitted to a car or m/cycle [NOT compulsory on m/cycles I might add] they MUST work or the driver/rider is breaking the law. Is that the sort of thing we really want to happen.
PS bicycles ARE vehicles in the eyes of the law.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Could be useful for the disabled perhaps? Those for whom lifting an arm up whilst maneuvering and keeping ones balance presents problems?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Could be useful for the disabled perhaps? Those for whom lifting an arm up whilst maneuvering and keeping ones balance presents problems?

But once again, this will bring the cyclist into conflict with car drivers as drivers would be expecting an arm signal.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Saw these http://www.pedibal.com/vestsandattachments.html at the show, was vaguely tempted as a cool thing for a Fridays ride but a bit rich as a novelty. Hadn't thought they might be read as 'pass me' although they do have three arrows straight on, left, right. Also an exclamation mark and a weird flashy pattern I believe. Operated wirelessly from the handlebars.

I think if they've seen you at all then indications aren't the problem.

winjim

Smash the cistern
But once again, this will bring the cyclist into conflict with car drivers as drivers would be expecting an arm signal.
I agree, but it is an interesting thought. As e-bike technology has made cycling available to the less able bodied, is there a way to make easier a procedure that does require a certain amount of physical coordination?

All good dissertation fodder :thumbsup:

An indicator on a bike may only be seen by the car directly behind or in front as the bike is rather narrow.

Anyway, I don't like indicating as it just gives motorists an opportunity to try and beat me - the ambiguous route I may take without indicating acts in my favour as the cars give me more space because they don;t know where I'm going!

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
I believe the HC says something about cyclists only indicating when safe to do so, although I do make a point of big bold indications and it tends to work for me. Had one white van almost brush my fingertips taking the right I was taking and indicating for. We had a frank discussion as he only got three car lengths round the corner before being stuck in traffic. Apparently it was my fault for not seeing him and adjusting my riding so he could make the turn further away from me... Twat.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Have seen clearer surveys. Apart from assuming one use for a bike (I just put my most common use) the questions on what effects your riding decisions were ambigious. Traffic effects my riding decision, when it's heavier I ride more because taking the car through it is pointless. For other people it effects their riding decision because they don't like being it. Similarly distance and hills.

John the Monkey

Frivolous Cyclist
Anyway, I don't like indicating as it just gives motorists an opportunity to try and beat me - the ambiguous route I may take without indicating acts in my favour as the cars give me more space because they don;t know where I'm going!

I can't remember a time I ever thought "Hey, I wish I knew *less* about what that road user is going to do" personally, but ymmv.

Top Bottom