sushi

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
A

Abitrary

wafflycat said:
A Japanese friend living in the UK for a few years made the most delicious sushi & sashami. She'd go to the local fishing harbour & buy the fish fresh from the boats as it was being landed. She also did me a meal made with Kobe beef. It was something else - it literally melted in the mouth.

I am intrigued by japanese Kobe and Waygu beef.

I spend endless 6 quids worths on shrink wrapped rib eye from sainsburys, yet it all tastes the same

Where can we buy this mad japanese stuff?

wafflycat

My friend had her supplies flown in from Japan..

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

wafflycat said:
My friend had her supplies flown in from Japan..

Surely that was a wholesale thing that everyone else can have a go at? Surely she wasn't just posted a steak?

OP
OP
A

Abitrary

wafflycat said:
She had the stuff flown over. It's very, very expensive and it was many years ago before Kobe beef came to be as well known over here as it is now.

More expensive than mackerel?

Flying_Monkey

Recyclist
I have just had an excellent sushi lunch in Shinjuku... perfectly fresh and like nothing you will ever get in the UK anywhere (sorry!) with a fantastic New Year's fish and miso broth... and all for a fiver a head. Tokyo is the best place in the world for food IMHO and it is great to be back for a while.

longers

Legendary Member
Is sushi all about the rice and sashimi the raw fish bit?

I'd love to try some properly :tongue: but have only had the wee takeaway boxes from supermarkets when they're reduced to 1/4 of the price because they're near their best before date.

Flying_Monkey said:
Tokyo is the best place in the world for food IMHO
only if you LIKE fish, rice, noodles and that kind of shoot! :tongue:

walker

I love sushi, I have it nearly everyday for lunch if it wasn't for the price. Its low fat, and a great balance of carb's and protein.

domtyler

Über Member
I lucky enough to work just down from an Itsu, while I know there is better quality sushi to be had their fare is good enough that I am down there two or three times a week depending on how good my wife has been at making my sandwiches! :tongue:

I think they do a really good job at bring Sushi to the masses.

Arch

Married to Night Train
longers said:
Is sushi all about the rice and sashimi the raw fish bit?

I'd love to try some properly :tongue: but have only had the wee takeaway boxes from supermarkets when they're reduced to 1/4 of the price because they're near their best before date.

Yeah, I generally have to wait for some to be reduced. I do like it, and yes, it's surprisingly filling.

And I like that in some of the supermarket packs, the soy comes in a little fish shaped plastic bottle.

One of my great memories is a holiday my Mum, sister and I had, a few years ago, staying in Winchester. One day we went up to London to be Ladies WHo Lunch and had sushi and delicate cups of green tea in the Yo! in Harvey Nicks, and the next day we went to Weymouth (to do some family history research) and had ham, egg and chips and a gallon of brown tea in a seafront caff. So different but both perfect in their own way....

Damn, I fancy sushi for lunch now. Oooh, I have an M and S gift card!:ohmy:

Top Bottom