Suspension Advice....

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Elvistheblue

Hello,

Beginner here, so please be gentle.

I've got a new TREK Marlin 6, 2019. I was playing about with the front suspension, and don't get how they actually work?? I know there is a lock feature, which is fine. They lock, and unlock.

However, If I turn the other key anti clockwise (- direction) it comes to a point where it won't turn anymore, but if I go clockwise (+ direction) the key seems to go on forever, and doesn't come to a natural stop. I also don't seem to notice any change in the suspension pressure. Should I? Is it a case of them being either on or off. Any advice on how they should work would be great.

Thanks in advance.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Not familiar with the particular suspension fork on your Trek, maybe someone else is and can give some better info. The lock out prevents the suspension operating and locks it solid. Check in which position it does this by holding the front brake on and pumping the forks. The idea being your energy is not wasted energy through the suspension when honking along on the flat.

Drago

Legendary Member
Did the bike come with a handbook?

That model comes with the Sram/RockShox XC30, which has a crude lockput and preload adjustment. Set the preload so the sag is about 1/3 Of the suspension travel when you're seated aboard the bike.

OP
OP
E

Elvistheblue

Thanks for the replies. I'll have a look on the SRAM website, and see what I can get from that . I didn't get a manual with the bike.....whether I should or not....not sure.

OP
OP
E

Elvistheblue

Did the bike come with a handbook?

That model comes with the Sram/RockShox XC30, which has a crude lockput and preload adjustment. Set the preload so the sag is about 1/3 Of the suspension travel when you're seated aboard the bike.

When you say 'crude', do you mean oil, or do you mean basic/simple??

Threevok

Growing old disgracefully
Assuming it they are XC30 forks

https://www.sram.com/rockshox/products/xc-30#service

and if they are coil sprung, there is very little noticable adjustment you can make to them

At that price point I'd avoid suspension completly TBH as it's more of a gimmick than an effective damping solution.

You'd be better off with a rigid fork and adjusting your tyre pressures to suit the conditions IMO, this would reduce eoverall weight quite significantly too.

I made the same mistake when I returned to cycling years ago, although the deciding factor on the bike I bought then was it's hydraulic discs, I was expecting good things from the suspension forks, it didn't happen and I ended up just keeping them locked out as no adjustment made any difference, but at least locking them limited the horrible bouncing.

OP
OP
E

Elvistheblue

At that price point I'd avoid suspension completly TBH as it's more of a gimmick than an effective damping solution.

You'd be better off with a rigid fork and adjusting your tyre pressures to suit the conditions IMO, this would reduce eoverall weight quite significantly too.

I made the same mistake when I returned to cycling years ago, although the deciding factor on the bike I bought then was it's hydraulic discs, I was expecting good things from the suspension forks, it didn't happen and I ended up just keeping them locked out as no adjustment made any difference, but at least locking them limited the horrible bouncing.

I take your point, but the bike is mine now. I'll have a mess about with it, and see what difference it makes. I won't be doing any serious 'off road' biking anyway.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
They don't adjust much. Best advice would be to clean the stansions after every ride, spray the seals with silicone lube, then compress the suspension a few times, then wipe away the left over dirt.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I don't mes with my Rockshox Revelations - I set the air pressure so I have 25-30% SAG when sat on the bike (with the camelback - weight sensitive), then just adjust the rebound a couple of clicks faster than the 'middle' setting. I just leave them be, and ensure they are clean after a ride, and a quick squirt with silicone lube, then wipe. Same process goes for the dropper post, clean and wipe.

With the suntours, the adjusters don't do much, so just ride, and look after them

Top Bottom