Suspension seatposts- are they worth a punt?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I had one that came on a nice dale (fast city bike) of mine - eventually it bust and I just went to a solid one. Can't say I missed it any more than the short travel front suspension. I like to keep things simple these days.

D

Deleted member 26715

I use a Suntour SPX 12 on my commuter, takes the sting out of potholes etc.

View attachment 554772
Another vote for the Suntour, I have one on both my MTB's they just take the sting out of the spine cracking jolts, I have also tried a Ultimate USE Vybe Alloy Suspension Seatpost but I didn't like it as much as the Suntour, if your after a 27.2mm one I have the USE available.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
that looks more affordable, how much sticks out on the bike frame if it was inserted all the way down?
If you'd have to put it all the way down, then your bike is probably too small for you?

This is how much seatpost I need showing on my bike...

OP
OP
C

carvelos

If you'd have to put it all the way down, then your bike is probably too small for you?

This is how much seatpost I need showing on my bike...

View attachment 554858
Good thought but the issue is the suspension mech takes up some space that needs to be about the same as what is protruding from my frame with my rigid setapost already otherwise it will be too tall for me. I am 6'3" and the frame is 23" and fits me really well

I had one, just a simple spring really. In the end it pretty well fell apart from wear.
I replaced it with a solid one and only then realised I'd been bouncing up and down like a Pogo stick:rolleyes:.
I'm sure an expensive one would be much better.

I had one, just a simple spring really. In the end it pretty well fell apart from wear.
I replaced it with a solid one and only then realised I'd been bouncing up and down like a Pogo stick:rolleyes:.
I'm sure an expensive one would be much better.
mine, that came on an expensive bike, gave up the ghost in the end.
Have never missed it.
Waste of time for most purposes I think.
suspension shoes anyone?

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Learning to position yourself correctly and to read the terrain is far more effective than a squidge post, and doesn't cause compromise when riding on other surfaces.

Arse off the saddle, weight on the pedals at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock works for me fine when I want to go over bumps, tree roots, badly filled in roadworks trenches, low kerbs etc. Allow the bike to move around when it wants to and you don't need suspension.

Drago

Legendary Member
Arse off the saddle, weight on the pedals at 3 o'clock and 9 o'clock works for me fine when I want to go over bumps, tree roots, badly filled in roadworks trenches, low kerbs etc. Allow the bike to move around when it wants to and you don't need suspension.
Indeed, and if people can't read the surface ahead then they're only a heartbest away from being an organ donor anyway.

Top Bottom