Suspension seatposts- are they worth a punt?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carvelos

Hi anyone had any experience with these and if so are there any good makes? I ride a rigid '90's Raleigh MTB to work and the rough terrain has shaken my prostate, one kidney, half a liver and both eyeballs loose over the past year and what with protecting the NHS and all, I am running low on organs and glands.
cheers
Carlos

Thudbuster. Fanfeckintastic!!!!

OP
OP
C

carvelos

Good idea. I shall pop one on and try

(sorry I cannot read your post without thinking that a 3-speed saddle combined with my 8 speed cassette will give me 24 gears again ^_^)

Sharky

Guru
For the amount of damage to your body, that you describe, I don't think there will be a single magic bullitt solution. The weight of the body is taken by the three contact points - arms&hands; feet&legs ; and your seat. When hitting rough ground, I always transfer more of the weight to the legs and lift myself off the saddle. On a regular commute, you get to know every bump and dip and adjust riding positions accordingly.

So it's always worth experimenting and a suspension post might help, but also reassess how you are taking the bumps and vary the weight taken by the three contact points.

Good luck

Andy_R

Hard of hearing..I said Herd of Herring..oh FFS..
Surely having your prostate shaken is a good thing....:whistle:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
I have an old USE Shokpost on my hardtail MTB.

For the amount of damage to your body, that you describe, I don't think there will be a single magic bullitt solution. The weight of the body is taken by the three contact points - arms&hands; feet&legs ; and your seat. When hitting rough ground, I always transfer more of the weight to the legs and lift myself off the saddle. On a regular commute, you get to know every bump and dip and adjust riding positions accordingly.

So it's always worth experimenting and a suspension post might help, but also reassess how you are taking the bumps and vary the weight taken by the three contact points.
What you are saying is correct and it is what I do, but I got caught out a couple of times on very rough technical descents and took almighty jolts up my spine. After that I put the Shokpost on and it certainly takes the sting out of the worst hits.

What pressure do you run your tyres at? I would look at that long before any energy sapping seatpost.
Running lower tyre pressures can only help so far offroad on real rough stuff. If you drop the pressure too much then snakebites await! My Shokpost is pretty stiff so I don't bob up and down when climbing, but do get a smidge more comfort.

keithmac

Guru
I use a Suntour SPX 12 on my commuter, takes the sting out of potholes etc.

Top Bottom