Sustainable / eco-friendly cycle clothing, is there such a thing?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone knows a cycling specific clothing brand that is particularly focused on sustainability ?
Researching outerwear I discovered that waterproof jackets and such are particularly hard to recycle, wondering if other eco conscious cyclists have found a solution to this problem? or any tips on how to be more sustainable as a cyclist.

any tips on how to be more sustainable as a cyclist.
Drive less. Don't fly.

You're welcome :P

vickster

Legendary Member
Hi all, I was wondering if anyone knows a cycling specific clothing brand that is particularly focused on sustainability ?
Researching outerwear I discovered that waterproof jackets and such are particularly hard to recycle, wondering if other eco conscious cyclists have found a solution to this problem? or any tips on how to be more sustainable as a cyclist.
Waxed cotton?

Some sustainable brands shown here https://www.yellowjersey.co.uk/the-draft/conscious-cycling-brands/

Stonepark

Über Member
Hemp based, then wollen, then organic cotton then inorganic cotton etc etc. I would assume ventile might be the most waterproof natural fabric to then waxed cotton.

CO2 Emissions in kg/kg of Different Textile Fibers Based on Energy Consumption (kW h/kg Fiber)

Fiber Type

Nylon Acrylic Polyester Polypropylene Viscose Cotton Wool Hemp

Energy Consumption kW h/kg Fiber

69 49 35 32 28 15 13 5

CO2 Emissions in kg/kg Fiber

37 26 19 17 15 8 7 3

Source: http://www.metrocon.info/images/uploads/SWhittaker-METROCON12.pdf, accessed on Mar

mythste

Veteran

We've (me and my partner) been looking to buy more second hand stuff through eBay and local groups.

I believe Morvelo and some other brands (possibly Sigma Sports new Universal Colours if memory serves) are looking properly at re-commerce which ultimately is a case of re-using the perfectly fine pieces of used fabric from previous years garments that are returned once no longer fit for purpose as a whole. A lovely idea, I think.

Adam4868

Guru
Howies,Not specifically cycling,but they do sell some cycling clothing.

chriswoody

Legendary Member
Alpkit are also trying to focus on sustainability and the environmental cost of their kit. I've not looked in detail at their kit though.

One thing that's really impressed me with them is their repair service. They'll take in any brands kit and repair it for a reasonable fee, provided it's doable.

They've just repaired the fly sheet from my Dad's 15 year old Marmot tent, after Marmot refused to have anything to do with it. I think he said it was about £40 including postage.

Eziemnaik

Über Member
Second hand

Oldhippy

Cynical idealist
Depends what kind of cycling I guess. I use my bike for every day transport, I have cycle specific clothing at all. Just regular clothing that I make last and buy from environmentally conscious makers.

iluvmybike

Über Member
I have a jersey made from re cycled plastic bottles - it was the one from doing the Alzheimers Winter challenge last year. And very nice it is too. Quite a few companies are now using recycled materials in their products, use merino wool, offer repairs to clothing instead of throwing away and so on

Alpkit are also trying to focus on sustainability and the environmental cost of their kit. I've not looked in detail at their kit though.

One thing that's really impressed me with them is their repair service. They'll take in any brands kit and repair it for a reasonable fee, provided it's doable.

They've just repaired the fly sheet from my Dad's 15 year old Marmot tent, after Marmot refused to have anything to do with it. I think he said it was about £40 including postage.
Scottish Mountain Repair fixed the hole in my Hilleberg flysheet after I pushed a bit too hard on a tent peg in a very tricky and windy location.
The Paramo repairs were all first rate as are Barbour.
My local cobbler attempted a resole of Danner Mountain Lites but the result was some side to side roll. Lancashire Sports Repairs did it properly and they roll like new.
Another local cobbler resoled my suede desert boots and did an excellent job.

My local market has a seamstress good for adjustments and clothing repairs beyond my basic skills. I did just repair my worn out wellies with gorilla glue

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/POLARIS-...1fd704c3a:g:N1wAAOSwGdJZluHq&var=621588342037

Top Bottom