Sustrans coast to castles - can you help?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

madsryle

I want to do the Sustrans Coast to castles ride at the end of September. I can't get to Gateshead from London in time to join the ride in the morning, and I was wondering if anyone knew of any dirt cheap accommodation in Newcastle for the Thursday night - or even better if anyone who is doing the ride might be prepared to offer a bed for the night? Tall ask I know but it would make the ride much more feasible from a financial point of view.

Thanks for your help...

Mads

Is this an organised ride?

Accommodation wise I cant offer much help, other than suggesting travel lodge. Not that cheap, if I hear of anything else i'll post it

PaulSB

Legendary Member
If you book well in advance you'll get a Travelodge room for £25-29. Not everyone's favourite place but if you just want a bed for the night and somewhere safe to keep your bike I doubt you'll find any cheaper, unless you risk a very cheap B&B.

I met some guys who were doing this last week. They said it was a great ride

PaulSB said:
If you book well in advance you'll get a Travelodge room for £25-29. Not everyone's favourite place but if you just want a bed for the night and somewhere safe to keep your bike I doubt you'll find any cheaper, unless you risk a very cheap B&B.

I met some guys who were doing this last week. They said it was a great ride

I stayed here when I did the Hadrian's Wall route... basic but comfortable and secure storage for bikes.

Bad news is that it is in South Shields, but the Ferry across the Tyne takes you on to the Coast and Castles route at North Shields, or cycle to the start of the route at Baltic Wharf along either side of the Tyne. It is about 10 miles from South Shields to Baltic Wharf - the Metro does not take bikes.

addictfreak said:
Oi Cunobelin

Nowt wrong with Shields, best place around if you want a curry and a fight. lol

I knew I had missed something in my experience of local culture, but softy Northerners can't cook or fight !

Sorry - I was not disparaging South Shields, I meant that it was bad news in that it was a fair distance from Baltic Wharf, so involved a journey!

PaulSB said:
If you book well in advance you'll get a Travelodge room for £25-29. Not everyone's favourite place but if you just want a bed for the night and somewhere safe to keep your bike I doubt you'll find any cheaper

I quite often use a Travel Lodge on the outskirts of Widnes when im up to watch St Helens play rugby .. and to be honest i dont think you can better them for the money and if you register your details with them online you'l get the cheap deals e-mailed to you

I sometimes only pay £17 for a night

Simon

Top Bottom