Sustrans routes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danny

Legendary Member
hubbike said:
The sustrans map itself is almost completely useless.

Not true.

I recently completed a 216 mile Sustrans route using nothing more than the Sustrans map and accompanying guide book. I would have needed 6 separate OS maps 1:50,000 maps to cover the full route so as far as I am concerned the Sustrans map represented good value.

And I have successfully navigate other long and short distance Sustrans routes using just their maps without any problem.

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
Dannyg said:
So the point is that you can follow an entire Sustrans route knowing that it will either be on quiet roads or on completely traffic free dedicated cycle tracks. Usually they follow the most scenic route as well.
Unfortunately the ones around here also tend to follow scenic routes using the audax sense of the word: scenic = up some nasty hills! Unless you know the route you're never quite sure whether the offroad bits are going to be suitable for a road bike as well, I've encountered a few sections here and in London that were challenging on 28mm tyres.

marinyork said:
Ordinary cyclists as soon as they get their sustrans hat on are the same and go all swivel-eyed and spouting political agendas.

PLEASE PLEASE stop me straight away if I go there PLEASE PLEASE.

I have a deep distrust of evengelists in any field.

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
Oh yeah BFTB as well as 50 000/1 landrangers I find google earth/birdseye view good for getting a better idea of piecing together the fiddly bits on sustrans routes. Authority cycle maps can be pretty good but they can be hard to locate.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
marinyork said:
I'd really not bother with the 100 000 to 1 jobs but the online is appalling clunky when compared with newer generation mapping stuff online (or even previous generation).

The sustrans online mapping is previous generation. It was more or less the first online mapping of any kind. They're now moving it to google maps, starting in Scotland - it's only very rudimentary, but it is there.

dodgy

srw said:
The sustrans online mapping is previous generation. It was more or less the first online mapping of any kind. They're now moving it to google maps, starting in Scotland - it's only very rudimentary, but it is there.

Great news! Got a link?

marinyork

Resting in suspended Animation
My favourite for such routes was actually using multimap when it was revamped so it had OS at two zoom levels. They've arsed it up now though and it doesn't seem to exist anymore. That was a shame as imo it was the best way of viewing these things.

dodgy

marinyork said:
My favourite for such routes was actually using multimap when it was revamped so it had OS at two zoom levels. They've arsed it up now though and it doesn't seem to exist anymore. That was a shame as imo it was the best way of viewing these things.

If you're interested in OS mapping integration, nobody has done it better than www.bikehike.co.uk it's brilliant.

Dave.

Danny

Legendary Member
Baggy said:
Unfortunately the ones around here also tend to follow scenic routes using the audax sense of the word: scenic = up some nasty hills! Unless you know the route you're never quite sure whether the offroad bits are going to be suitable for a road bike as well, I've encountered a few sections here and in London that were challenging on 28mm tyres.
I never said that they were all flat! Some of the hills are indeed pretty damn scenic (in the audax sense of the word). Even so a lot of routes are built along old railway lines which are pretty easy going.

And agree that a few off road sections are not really suitable for road bikes, but these are often indicated on the maps.

Anyway here is a picture from the 60 mile flat and scenic section of the Hadrians Cycleway along the Solway Firth.

mip66f.jpg

IMG%5D

a%3E

coopman

Im a big fan of the Sustrans routes, but then Im lucky to have them on my doorstep leading various directiions. They have used the old railway lines near me (johnstone near glasgow) which are all tarmac now. I have cycled through to edinburgh, up to inverness and found them very good.
I have several Sustrans maps and found them very good and detailed. The signage is very good as well.
Planning to do the C2C next year, that seems to get good reviews by all those who have done it.
Its an excellent job they have done creating safe routes for families (I trail my daughter) hopefully getting more kids into cycling.
Agree their online mapping need a wee bit of improvement!!!

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
marinyork said:
John Ponting I know that's what they quote as their purpose but as soon as they get a news outlet they'll be bossing people around, hogging the limelight and misrepresenting. Ordinary cyclists as soon as they get their sustrans hat on are the same and go all swivel-eyed and spouting political agendas.

Most interesting, especially as I have been wearing the hat for some time. To my knowledge (and please correct me if I am wrong) I have not become brainwashed, nor have I once spoken of any agenda. I actually resent the comment made by Marinyork and wounder if he could qualify it?

In my area Sustrans have taken over the management of one of (if not) the largest Trails in South Wales, namely "The Taff Trail" It is kept clear of debris and flooding, erosion etc is dealt with in a very timely fashion. These Trails are a pleasure tyo cycle on.

Danny

Legendary Member
I wouldn't worry too much about what marinyork says on this topic. He has long had a bee in his bonnet about Sustrans, and based what he has said previously his idea of a good and scenic cycle route is one that runs alongside a dual carriageway.

If he prefers to cycle along busy main roads that's fine by me. But I've never understood why he get so exercised about Sustrans providing alternatives for the many cyclists who prefer more quiet routes.

Top Bottom