Sustrans routes

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
WJHall said:
With that said, there are serious questions about whether the Sustrans philosophy of off road routes, often based on old railway lines is really the way forward for any real increase in cycling,
If you'd been out with me last weekend on the Phoenix trail (Thame to Princes Risborough) you wouldn't be saying that. Dozens and dozens of riders, mostly families. Judging by the people and their bikes, approximately none of them would have been cycling without the path.

especially if it leads to conflict with proposals to reopen the railways as railways. The flagship Bristol to Bath path could bump into this one some time in the next half century.
That's always possible, but why begrudge half a century of use as a bike path? Compared with the cost of a rail line, a bike path is very very very very cheap.

U

User482

WJHall said:
With that said, there are serious questions about whether the Sustrans philosophy of off road routes, often based on old railway lines is really the way forward for any real increase in cycling, especially if it leads to conflict with proposals to reopen the railways as railways. The flagship Bristol to Bath path could bump into this one some time in the next half century.
John Hall

It already has. The council proposed a plan to put a "Bus Rapid Transit" route along it. Cue mass protests and a council u-turn. The path is massively popular, not only as a cycle path, but a haven for parents walking kids to school, dog walkers, joggers etc. A typical Sunday will see people using it as a park - walking along in a green space free of traffic. It was interesting that the number of people projected to use the new bus service were dwarfed by the number of cycle commuters, so there's no doubt that in this case, using an old railway path is very much the eco option.

Angelfishsolo

A Velocipedian
I must say I don't know the route (as yet!!) but find this fantastic news heart-warming. It is great to know that public opinion can win out!

User482 said:
It already has. The council proposed a plan to put a "Bus Rapid Transit" route along it. Cue mass protests and a council u-turn. The path is massively popular, not only as a cycle path, but a haven for parents walking kids to school, dog walkers, joggers etc. A typical Sunday will see people using it as a park - walking along in a green space free of traffic. It was interesting that the number of people projected to use the new bus service were dwarfed by the number of cycle commuters, so there's no doubt that in this case, using an old railway path is very much the eco option.

orbiter

I'm another of those whose experience of NCN routes is generally positive. I've found they compare reasonably well to Dutch & German routes in signage and their choice of road and off-road sections. In all three countries, I've found badly routed and surfaced parts.

I agree with Waffly's view that roads are a the 'real' cycle network, which I regularly use, but I also appreciate the traffic- and noise-free tracks when I'm not in a hurry. The two are not alternatives, either in the UK or elsewhere, where there are also many routes similar to the NCN.

In towns the precise NCN route is often decided by the local authority, perhaps with the aid of a local cycle action group. In my town, the local CAG are supporting a devious back-street route for one of the NCN routes to pass through, where I'd take a direct, slightly busy road. So Sustrans isn't necessarily to blame for some of the bizarre routing.

Pete

Billloudon

I have used the Cycle route 73 in North Ayrshire/ Soputh Ayshire and am really impressed.
I have done the Largs - Ayr run about 35miles and a lot is off road and most is on very quiet lanes. A good run if you can manage it.
All that said, I came off a few weeks ago because of mud on the track:angry:

PaulSB

Legendary Member
I have been a Sustrans supporter for many years, perhaps 15-16, by which I mean I make a small monthly contribution, used to take part in some of the inaugural rides (for fun not politicing) and avidly read all the literature etc. I'm a supporter not an activist.

My first "tour", perhaps 10 years ago was the C2C. Perhaps in the eyes of many not a real tour but I was very nervous at being away from home, out of my comfort zone and having to get from A to B on my bike with no support or get out possibilities. It was fantastic and I now tour whenever I can, which is not often enough.

Six years ago I cycled the inaugural Pennine Cycle Way ride and had great fun. It remains an excellent route. Today I'm more experienced, fitter, more confident and have a better bike. Sunday to Wednesday last week I rode the PCW from Gargrave to Berwick plus adding in a few diversions of my own, to visit Alnwick for example. On this ride I began to appreciate why some cyclists are so anti-Sustrans. Six years ago I enjoyed every moment of the route and was happy to put up with some of the sections that I now consider rather daft. Today as said I have far more experience and quickly found myself studying maps in much greater detail, rather than slavishly following the generally excellent signage, this allowed me to cut out sections which now seem a little pointless, included a rough track etc.

My point would be this. I started riding a bike about 17-18 years ago when my eldest boy wanted Dad to take him for a ride. From this I have progressed to being a cyclist, riding locally as often as possible, being a sometimes club member, confident and able to set off to average 90 miles / day with just a map, rack and small bag when I can. I got a real buzz from completing Chorley - Gargrave - Appleby via Route 68 (102 miles) in a day.

Without Sustrans, especially the C2C, I would probably not have taken up cycle touring and missed something I really enjoy. I no longer follow every mile of a Sustrans route but find they provide great ideas for tours and a reliable basis for a route which as one gains experience can be varied according to taste. For the completely inexperienced Sustrans provides the safest, in every sense of the word, option, as one grows and develops one's views develop and needs change meaning one uses the network differently.

Surely the whole point of a cycling charity is to encourage and develop cycling? Those who are dismissive of Sustrans miss the point entirely.

For the sceptics I'd strongly suggest you come and try the Lancahire Cycleway (routes 90 / 91) which makes a good 250 mile, three day tour. The route existed for many, many years and was known to cyclists, clubs etc but unless someone told you about it you wouldn't have had a clue. By signing the route Sustrans have made it accessible to all - surely a good thing? The Lancashire Cycleway has some beautiful rural riding and some blistering climbs!

Garz

Squat Member
Hi PaulSB, I regularly cycle around bolton area, and one of my major annoyances was the route 91 (i think) between hawkshaw and turton I always miss the detour through turton bottoms. Either some wally has stolen a sign or two or they have been twisted in the wrong direction.

PaulSB

Legendary Member
Only done his section once - doesn't fit with many of my routes - but I THINK it follows the B6391 through Turton Bottoms, joins the A676 Bradshaw / Bolton Road out to Hawkshaw and after going through Hawkshaw pick up the B6214 fro Holcombe / Helmshore.

Arch

Married to Night Train
User482 said:
Some experienced cyclists dislike Sustrans routes, but so what? No-one is compelling you to use them.

True, but perhaps what some people feel is that they contribute to the whole "get on the cyclepath!" mentality. A sort of feeling that you can't cycle somewhere unless there is a designated route... I was working on a cycling promotion roadshow once and a lady said "You're a member of Sustrans I presume?" When I (and my colleague) said "No", she got a bit snooty and said "I find that very odd!". The assumption was that as keen cyclists, we had to belong to some 'club' or something...

I use bits and pieces of routes, when it suits me (the York-Selby path for example), but I'm pretty capable of working a route out for myself, so I tend to end up on one because it's convenient and happens to be on my route, rather than choosing it. I find barriers a real pain, mind you, I don't have the knack of riding through narrow gaps, and there are some that are just too narrow to do so. And I don't find a rough surface any fun on a road bike. A few potholes I can dodge, but the 2 miles of deep loose gravel I found on route 65 was horrible... Unless I know a route, or there is no option without a long detour, I'll tend to choose a road, which I can be fairly sure will be tarmacced.

For a family with kids, or new cyclists, I agree some off-road paths are great. The trick is to then encourage the new folk to see beyond the path, and understand how to read maps, pick routes etc...

Top Bottom