Sustrans, the Bristol Railway Path & 'Parklets'

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
Just in, Sustrans have published their ideas for parts of the B2B. Oh dear, doesn't look that great, can't see creating 'parklets' is going to make cycling a more pleasant experience. Looks a bit too 'arty-farty' for my liking. I thought they were just going to widen it a bit & put a paved strip in for pedestrians. Nope, it's 'parklets' now.

Comments????:
Sustrans

Bristol Cycling campaign response:
Bristol cycling campaign

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I would think 'parklets' would lead to youths using them for all kinds of anti-bike activities, maybe not as bad as Manchester but I can see them strewn with broken glass in short order.

OP
OP
captain nemo1701

captain nemo1701

Space cadet. Deck 42 Main Engineering.
The proposals generally cover a short section through Easton in Bristol and the residents of the area have been campaigning for a long time now to effectively turn this section of the path into a park. In fact, some of them (I’ve seen them out on the path with speed radar guns) would ban cycling from it altogether if they could. Thing is, it’s a shared use path which by logical definition also includes cyclists. I’ve witnessed two accidents along his stretch in 11 years of commuting along it and both were caused by dog owners allowing their pets to run onto the path thinking its as ‘park’. In fact, last night both myself & another cyclist trying to leave the path at an access ramp had to wait while a dog owner who’d let his pet run off the lead, had to retrieve it as it ran up the ramp ahead of us.

If the Easton residents are that concerned over children crossing down over the path to reach their school, then put the footbridge back in!. Trouble is, it’ll swallow about 90% of the budget but would offer a permanent solution. Unfortunately, Sustrans seem to like arts vanity projects.

Top Bottom