SW France to Mariestad Sweden

Discussion in 'Vintage and Classic Bikes' started by woodbutcher, 14 Jun 2018.

1. woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

Ok l will come clean straight away, l strapped the trusty velo to the back of the car and set off today at lunchtime ! 700 Km. later and l haven't even made it out of France yet. Hope to be near Hamburg tomorrow (another 1000 Km) and then on Saturday overnight ferry to Gothenburg from Rostock..
    Heading for the summer house on lake Vanern ....let the cycling begin. Photos later if l have the energy !!

Elysian_Roads likes this.
  2. Elysian_Roads

Elysian_Roads Senior Member

Looking forward to seeing those! Sounds like a great journey. Safe travels.

woodbutcher likes this.
  3. Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs Down Under Member

@woodbutcher : where do you live in SW France? I was just curious. I'll be visiting the Pyrénées again (for the 3rd year in a row) in September.

4. biggs682

biggs682 Smile a mile bike provider

Cycleops and woodbutcher like this.
  5. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

I live not far from Cahors it takes me about 3 to 4 hours to get to the Pyrenees from my place !!

Shut Up Legs likes this.
  6. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

Summer in a Swedish 'stuga' is wonderful. Just hope the mozzies aren't too annoying.

I lived in Stockholm for 14 years and spent a lot of time in Swedish summer houses.

Have a great time.

woodbutcher likes this.
  7. Dayvo

Dayvo Just passin' through

Oh, and Mariestad's beer is quite decent, too, IIRC.

8. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

No moose pics. l promise. In Germany tonight pitched my tent in a campsite with lots of lively little blond kids playing football ,world cup l guess.
    Thats the bad news , the good news is there is a bar serving Ltr.'s of beer with heaps of fries. bliss !

Elysian_Roads and biggs682 like this.
  9. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

Very true. and its another thing to look forward to :smile:

10. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

Thanks, the stuga belongs to my partners family, l have spent quite a bit of time there. Great trails through the forest so taking my Raleigh M-Trax.
    Dont think the mozzies will be too much problem, it has been very dry so far this year !

11. biggs682

12. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

Its a long story, but after a 2400 Km drive and an overnight ferry from Rostock to Trellebourg we arrived in the finally arrived in the forest at the summer house, last evening.....l think l was then unconscious for about twelve hours until this morning.
    The journey has not been without incident. l had my bike on a Thule rack which worked fine until my partner, knackered after a marathon drive effort manage to reverse into a road sign post :eek: which was to be fair, hard to see,
    there was a crunch and the rear mech. was bent into the wheel (actually it was the hanger which bent). Unfortunately the wheel is also bent and a couple of spokes are bent and loose. I spent this morning straightening the hanger , that worked ok and standing with one foot on the rim while attempting to pull the bloody thing straight with both hands. Well at least the wheel will go round now but l fear that l will have to find an LBS to get a proper job done before l can ride it.
    As far as photos are concerned we are in the forest and the internet hasn't been invented here yet ....at least as far as photo uploads go. So you will have to be patient and wait until l go to Mariestad to get a reliable connection.

13. biggs682

Sorry I asked

mikeymustard, woodbutcher and Dayvo like this.
  14. OP
    OP
    woodbutcher

woodbutcher Über Member

Home for the trip...bit cramped but who cares ?

The bike after l had "repaired" it, not really rideable yet but watch this space.

Much more later , l hope !

Attached Files:

biggs682 likes this.
  15. biggs682

Sure i can see an elk just looking through the trees behind the bike :laugh:

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice