Swap: Blackburn AirStik pump for best cycling tip

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Hi folks.

I have a Blackburn Air Stik[sup]1[/sup] pump which is surplus to requirements. It has seen some use so it is cosmetically not perfect, but it works fine.

blackburn-air-stik.jpg

I am soon going to be starting a cycling advice website and am busy collecting cycling tips. I already have a big collection, but am looking for more tips which I haven't yet thought of. I'm after simple advice, ideas, or information, nothing too advanced. For instance, Globalti's tip to use talcum powder to 'lube' a tyre to make it easier to get it on a tight rim.

So, your task is to come up with a (sensible!) cycling tip which I haven't heard of before. Post your tips below. I'll collect the names of all of you who qualify and draw the winner from a hat at the end of October. The winner gets the pump and its mounting bracket, if I can find it.

[sup]1[/sup] The pump is the older model with a silver metal body. It is a quality, pretty lightweight pump which is about 11 inches in length when closed. The handle folds back into a T-shape for better grip when pumping. It has a locking mechanism to tighten the grip on a valve before you start to pump. There is an insert in the end which can adapt the pump for Schrader or Presta valves.

when fitting new tape to the handlebars remember to start from the end of the bars and work towards the stem ,that way you wont have any raised edges ,as opposed to working from the stem to the bar ends
(i found out the hard way :whistle: )

Sh4rkyBloke

Jaffa Cake monster
When wanting a free pump, ensure you tell Colin he's a fine looking man and a superb biker. :whistle:

:tongue:

Seriously though, nice gesture. Nothing to add that you haven't already heard, I suspect, but good for you for what you're doing. :thumbsup:

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

when fitting new tape to the handlebars remember to start from the end of the bars and work towards the stem ,that way you wont have any raised edges ,as opposed to working from the stem to the bar ends
(i found out the hard way :whistle: )
Okay, I think that makes sense ... (But don't the edges just get raised the other way?) Well, that's worth checking out, so you're in!

When wanting a free pump, ensure you tell Colin he's a fine looking man and a superb biker. :whistle:

:tongue:
No, that won't do - it has to be something that I don't already know, and I already know that flattery will get you nowhere! ;)

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Make sure you carry some basic tools with you including ...

multi tool
pump
puncture repair kit
2 inner tubes .. having learnt the hard way that rubber glue does not like sub zero temperatures.

Practice changing a inner tube in the comfort of your home as you want to be able to do it before you need to do so on the road when its bound to happen when your either late,tired or its raining :smile:

Get to know your bike and you can save lots of money doing simple repairs yourself that the bike shop wil charge you for and leave you without a bike .

leroy

Probably stolen from someone on here -

If carrying clothes etc on the ride, pack the night before. In the excitement of getting out and riding you will inevitably forget something

OP
OP
ColinJ

ColinJ

I put mine in a ziplock bag, squeeze all the air out then seal it. Less chance of it coming off/tearing than clingfilm. Can also stick a couple of cards and a tenner in there in place of taking a wallet.
Good!

Make sure you carry some basic tools with you including ...

multi tool
pump
puncture repair kit
2 inner tubes .. having learnt the hard way that rubber glue does not like sub zero temperatures.
Sorry, that's a bit too obvious!

Practice changing a inner tube in the comfort of your home as you want to be able to do it before you need to do so on the road when its bound to happen when your either late,tired or its raining :smile:
I'd already thought of that one and have previously advised new riders to do that, but I forgot to write it on my list so your name goes in the hat!

If carrying clothes etc on the ride, pack the night before. In the excitement of getting out and riding you will inevitably forget something
Your name goes in the hat too!

I did a 200 km audax event once and a man had driven over 40 miles to take part but he had forgotten to pack his cycling shoes - he wasn't a happy bunny!

4F

Active member of Helmets Are Sh*t Lobby
Save money on expensive gel pads by using old inner tubes. Split in half and then wrap your bars with the old inner tube before wrapping with bar tape.

threebikesmcginty

Corn Fed Hick...
If you've got lots of bikes, we've got 10 in the shed, they'll all have different tyres and therefore different recommended PSIs. Keep a card by the track pump with all the PSIs on them for each bike. Saves time looking for the PSI on the tyre which sometimes seems to be impossible to find, for me at least.

If that's any good you can have it for free, I don't need another pump! :smile:

Top Bottom