Swapping from presta to schrader

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
byegad said:
I found I managed to bend the little central bit you screw up to inflate the tube on Prestas. Usually at the roadside and in the rain.

This is another issue that we haven't even touched on. Prestas are fragile. I didn't want to start a "Presta vs. Schraeder" flame war. Not only is it easy to bend the Presta valve, but, it is also very easy to rip the stem out of the tube. EVERYONE whom I've ever encountered who ripped a stem out of a tube was using Presta valves.

For ME, the Schraeder is the far superior valve. That may not be the case with others. I have never heard of a racing car, heavy truck, tractor or aeroplane using a Presta valve. It is a bicycle-specific valve, for narrow rims, as far as I know.

Maybe I shouldn't have used the word "most" when I mentioned that "most bicycle tyres use Presta". I don't have statistics to back that up. Over here, in the US of A, virtually ALL road bikes use Prestas, and MANY mountain bikes use them. The last 2 hybrids that I bought came with Presta, and I drilled them out for Schraeders. My recumbent came with Prestas, but was already drilled, and had a bushing in the hole to reduce it for Prestas. I removed the bushings and installed Schraeder tubes. The last wheel that I bought had to be drilled for Schraeder. I guess I shouldn't have used the word "most", since I don't have the statistics to prove "more than 50%". Still, for commuting in my area, I'm willing to bet that you will encounter more bikes with Presta valves.

If I remember correctly, the original question was, "can I drill out the rim to accept Schraeder valves?" Simple answer: probably.

ASC1951

Guru
threefingerjoe said:
EVERYONE whom I've ever encountered who ripped a stem out of a tube was using Presta valves.
Maybe so, but that's not a good reason for not using them. Try a little care - I've never ripped a tube like that in my life.

For ME, the Schraeder is the far superior valve. ........ I have never heard of a racing car, heavy truck, tractor or aeroplane using a Presta valve. It is a bicycle-specific valve, for narrow rims, as far as I know.
Phew, that's a relief. I wouldn't like to think I was using an aeroplane-specific valve on my bicycle.

I wouldn't throw away a Schraeder sized wheel if someone gave me one for my MTB, but I certainly wouldn't go butchering an existing rim just to use up a few free tubes; nor to use Schraeders thereafter.

Fnaar

Smutmaster General
Just to add to this, I once bought some MTB tyres from Half's, and was given some "free" Continental tubes, which were as per normal MTB tubes EXCEPT they had Presta valves... odd, and I have never used them, (but was told on here you can get adaptor to help them fit the schrader-accommodating wheels).

So, it could be that your bike is fitted with these, and that the holes in your rims (if you'll pardon the expression) are as one might expect on the bike anyway.

ASC1951 said:
Maybe so, but that's not a good reason for not using them. Try a little care - I've never ripped a tube like that in my life.

Phew, that's a relief. I wouldn't like to think I was using an aeroplane-specific valve on my bicycle.

I wouldn't throw away a Schraeder sized wheel if someone gave me one for my MTB, but I certainly wouldn't go butchering an existing rim just to use up a few free tubes; nor to use Schraeders thereafter.

Butchering? Drilling a hole in a Presta rim to allow it to accept a Schrader valve is an every day workshop procedure.

Top Bottom