Swapping from presta to schrader

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Hi,

I have just brought a Carrera Kraken as with discounts I couldnt find anything of similar spec without spending at least another £150.

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...uctId_518223_langId_-1_categoryId_165499#dtab

If you look at the enlarged pic, it looks like it is supplier with schrader innertubes.

Any-hoo, mine has come with presta valves, but I would prefer to use schrader (I have some spare innertube donted by a mate with schrader valves).

Will these be a straight swap, or will I need to enlarge the valve hole in the wheel?

Thanks, Paul.

tyred

Legendary Member
You'll need to drill the rim if it was specifically designed for Presta. I can't recall the size offhand but it is easy to measure the diameter of a shrader valve stem. When you do it, use a small round file to remove any burrs and make sure there are no shards of metal stuck on the inside of the rim (otherwise punctures galore). If it is a double walled rim, small shards of metal can get caught between the walls and can be difficult to remove but won't really do any harm.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
I, too, prefer Schrader valves. One can usually drill them out with no problem, unless they are REALLY skinny rims. I don't think I'd want to risk it on the narrowest rims. Be sure to remove any burrs from the hole, though.

If I remember correctly, Sheldon Brown had stated the size drill to use.

OP
OP
PaulSecteur

PaulSecteur

No longer a Specialized fanboy
Tynan said:
you're going to drill the wheel to save on the price of an inner tube?

I was thinking more about the availablility of scrader pumps. Anyhow, just brought a pump with a smart head that does both. Thanks for your replies, I will keep these tubes till they go, then modify to scraders.

THANKS ALL!!

alecstilleyedye

nothing in moderation
are you running slicks? i'd go for presta if so as the pressures will be higher than on knobbly mtb tyres.

threefingerjoe

Über Member
alecstilleyedye said:
are you running slicks? i'd go for presta if so as the pressures will be higher than on knobbly mtb tyres.

Pressure really isn't an issue. Schraeder valves are used on heavy lorry tyres and air conditioning systems. The main reason that Prestas are so common on bike tyres is that they are narrower, which can be an issue on very narrow rims. Prestas are also a little easier to pump up with a hand pump, since there is no spring pressure to overcome.

Finding a pump to accomodate Schraeder valves really isn't much of an issue, either. Most bike pumps have a convertible head which will work on either valve.

My personal choice is the Schraeder, because I have an air compressor in my garage, and at work, and MOST of the time, that is how I inflate my tyres. The only time I use my frame pump is when repairing a puncture on the road. Also, if, for some reason, my frame pump fails when I need it most (that has happened), Schraeder tubes can be inflated at the nearest petrol station.

Again, this is MY personal choice. Your circumstances may differ.

Funtboy

Paulkraken said:
I was thinking more about the availablility of scrader pumps. Anyhow, just brought a pump with a smart head that does both. Thanks for your replies, I will keep these tubes till they go, then modify to scraders.

THANKS ALL!!

Why?

threefingerjoe

Über Member
Paulkraken said:
Because as threefingerjoe said, the chances of being able to borrow (should I need to) the use of a pump that is presta is alot less than a schrader.

Wellllll....that's not exactly what I meant. "If" you are able to BORROW a pump from another rider, then chances are it will be set up for Presta. MOST bikes use Presta valves.

On my commutes, the chances of being able to borrow a pump are almost nil. There aren't many other cyclists out there, and you'd be AMAZED at the number of cyclists who carry neither pump nor tube/patch kit.

If you encounter many cyclists on your route, you may be better off with Presta. In my case, I'd have a better chance of finding a filling station to air up a Schraeder tube (in the event that my pump didn't work).

gaz

Cycle Camera TV
threefingerjoe said:
Wellllll....that's not exactly what I meant. "If" you are able to BORROW a pump from another rider, then chances are it will be set up for Presta. MOST bikes use Presta valves.

Can't say i agree with the last part. Presta are only really found on road bikes, schrader cover mountain bike and most hybrids. a bigger market in my mind for schrader.
BUT who is more likely to be carrying a pump with them?

byegad

Legendary Member
I found I managed to bend the little central bit you screw up to inflate the tube on Prestas. Usually at the roadside and in the rain.
So all my rides are on Schraders. Pressure's not an issue my Dahon Speed-Pro is on narrow tyres that run at 120psi, no issues and they stay up to pressure as well as any Presta 120psi tube.

Top Bottom