Swim across the Atlantic

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tin Pot

Guru
I don't really get it when you climb out of the sea on to a boat, eat and sleep, and get in again the next day.

Seems like the same feat could be done at home, and the Atlantic element is just for shoots and googles.

So what's that, 11 miles a day is 16/17km per day. About 5hrs a day for 150days?

Mental.

"On a daily basis i'm stung by sea lice and minor jellies, a 10ft shark followed us, Dorado type fish biting me, fatigued completely, & my right arm, chest & leg is yet to recover fully from the Portuguese man of war incident that left me fighting for my life.
The Ocean is also taking its toll on me and the current is vicious and unforgiving, pushing against me (400m swam in an hour on occasion) or pulling my legs and lower back whilst six feet waves, not always swells, smash my top half a different way. There is a difference between swells and waves, as is the current different daily. Hence distances of 1100m to 17km in a day."

This isn't the same guy who swam the Amazon and nearly lost his cock is it?

I think this may be verging on foolhardy.

Good luck to him and the team.

Last edited:

Tin Pot

Guru
Just watched a couple of his videos on the webpage. He has a sublime technique

Do you think?

I'm no expert, but it doesn't look great to me. I think the straight arm recovery is ok for open water but his stroke rate is so low and over gliding abounds, his legs look low in the water and some excessive rotation going on there.

Maybe some of that suits endurance swimming...

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Ben has bailed after 67 nautical miles out of 2000.
I'm not sure "bailed" is the right word. ;) If he bailed out, he'd have to carry on.

Tin Pot

Guru
At worst, surely. No one abandons 3% into a fake attempt.

I've read into three or four of these incidents. And there are similar characterstics:

1. The person has no history in a sport they say they are going to break a world record in

2. They raise lots of money "for charity" but never evidence giving anything to a charity

3. As soon as their event starts getting criticised on the 'net the GPS updates get sketchier and sketchier

4. One of their mates logs into a forum saying they can't believe how cynical everyone is

5. Some unforeseen catastrophe they have no control over prevents them continuing

This affair ticks all those boxes.

Here's another one, earlier this year, British again sadly:
robert-young-facebbok-145x150.jpg
It’s Official: Marathon Man Robert Young Exposed As A Complete Fraud After Independent Investigation
LRC
The web vigilantes have won again and exposed yet another race cheat. Inspired in part by the fastest growing thread in LetsRun.com history started by Asher Delmott, a 101-page report shows conclusively that Robert Young wasn't running for much of his attempted record run across America. *MB: Robert Young fakes run across America
October 1, 2016

Last edited:

Tin Pot

Guru
The only thing I meant as the distance travelled is probably real. If you were going to fake GPS files, surely you'd pick a number less humiliating than 3xEnglish Channel.

Yeah, if you or I were going to fake it I think we'd be better at it. I suspect that fraudsters are also often fantasists that half believe their fantasies to make them more convincing.

That said if I were doing a runner with a bunch of charity money, having a sponsored boat to Brazil is genius. I wonder if he'll ever return to Blighty?! :laugh:

Top Bottom