switching brakes:

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbs

Guru
For medical reasons - trying to minimise risk of RSI type injury to R arm (muscle system yet to to recover from a break in October) - I am swapping the brakes on all 3 bikes. So in future L for front brake and R for rear. I had no problems this setup on 4 hr run in flat terrain on the Van Nic today

Any thoughts as to how to accelerate muscle memory/instinctive reaction? It should not be overly difficult for me to adapt given that I have only 30 months cycling experience and so will not have deeply ingrained habits.

PS: going downhill to a R turn is now less traumatic.

Zoiders

How does exercising an atrophied limb less help with rehabilitation?

And why assume you will get RSI?

Rehab will hurt until it doesn't hurt any more and I wouldn't swap the brakes over unless the doc has warned of the risk of creating a chronic injury, in which case cycling full stop might be a bad idea anyway.

Davidc

Guru
Not just 'Euro pro racers', it's every bike in Europe, and I believe the rest of the world, except possibly Ireland!

For just over 20 years I had a Peugeot bike I'd bought in France which was that wayround. used to take me about a minute to adjust my brain when I rode a UK standard bike, or back again.

OP
OP
gbs

gbs

Guru
How does exercising an atrophied limb less help with rehabilitation?

And why assume you will get RSI?

Not so much exercisng less but seeking to protect dominant R arm.

I do not assume that I will get RSI - I already have an RSI condition. I provoked a golfer's elbow condition by riding 100k on the finest of Hampshire lanes three weeks ago. The poor road conditions gave off a lot of vibration and the frequent braking, mostly R hand/front brake, caused the problem to my R arm. Tennis/golfer's elbow are notoriously difficult to cure.

Top Bottom