Switching from commuting to leisure riding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Alex321

Veteran
Due to working from home permanently I no longer have a commute. 99% of the rides in my adult life have been the commute.

Am hoping to keep it up...very much a case of the first mile is the hardest.

Went out for a very short (30 minute) ride tonight which was nice but no plan at all just making decisions on approach to junctions which way to go. Do you find having a destination and pre planned route more enjoyable? Must admit I loved the commute for its efficiency (am getting to work for free, exercising and enjoying it all at the same time).

Secondly, I can see with family life (two small kids) am going to be limited to an hour or less most days when I do get out. This means I am seldom going to get to ride anywhere new (just the same streets within a few miles of my house). This can be a bit boring. Was thinking of jumping on the train for a few stops and getting off at a different stop each time and riding back but not always going to be doable with an hour or less a day. I could make time for longer rides but most days it will be harder to commit to it and will just end up putting it off. Any tips on making routes interesting near your house? I prefer not to use komoot etc. I look at a screen all day at work.

Any advice for these specifics and keeping up and enjoying cycling without the need that a commute provides.
I usually go out for between 35 minutes and 70 minutes either immediately after work (I finish at 4:30pm) or after dinner.

That uses routes varying from about 9.5 miles up to 18 miles, and it is surprising how many different routes you can find, I have about 7-8 main routes I currently use, each of which has some variations. Tried a brand new route last night, but won't be using parts of that one again (too much steep and narrow down hill).

There are still reasonably local areas I have hardly explored, after 14 months in this house.

I do live somewhere that I am into rural back roads within half a mile of leaving the house though.

I like Skol

A Minging Manc...
Another thing when kids are very young is to get a rear child seat and take one with you. They love it and it gets you an extra work out due to the extra weight. Also helps enormously with the father/child bonding which doesn't always happen in all families.
I did this and would take my child to swimming pool sessions, gym tots groups etc. Great fun involving child development, exercise, bonding and also teaches the child that cycling is an alternative form of daily transport, as opposed to the many children that are brought up believing that the car is a requirement for EVERY journey outside the home!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Take a longer lunch, or get up at the same time as before and go for a morning ride.

I take an extended lunch a couple of times a week when there are no meetings. Early or later start. I'm actually going back two days a week and likely to cycle commute again (stopped after getting a broken spine riding to work nearly 6 years ago).

TwoStews

A decade or so ago I met with a client who had a garden office and worked exclusively from home. At that time, both of those things were an alien concept to me (and I guess most people). How times change.

I clearly remember him telling me how every morning before he started work, he left the house by the front door and walked a mile or so around the block, coming home and using his gate to access the garden and his office. Once he'd finished his working day, he'd repeat the procedure in reverse, leaving the garden gate, walking around the block and arriving back at home and letting himself in through the front door. He said it helped him separate work and home and gave him the sensation of a commute by physically leaving for (and arriving at) work. To boot he benefitted from the physical exercise at either end of his day.

His story stuck with me for years and when the pandemic hit, and I worked from home instead of commuting by bike into work, I (sort of) followed his routine. I would run before starting work (often only 3k or so) and then at the end of the day, I'd go out on the bike. It wouldn't be a monster ride, more often a blast out with some sort of utilitarian excuse such as a trip to the shop or to the offy for delicious cold beer.

Even if it were two quick blasts out somewhere on the bike at either end if the working day I think you'd feel the benefit. Maybe if you do this 'pseudo commute' at either end of your day, you might find you're not that bothered about mixing the route up. If you're anything like me, I bet you've probably commuted to/from work the same way thousands of times over and still weirdly looked forward to it every day!

Good luck and I hope you find something that works for you

Top Bottom