Sympathy?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
oops.. sorry to hear that.

Is the bike ok? :whistle:

OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

oops.. sorry to hear that.

Is the bike ok? :whistle:

Not really, some of the gears aren't engaging properly again. Getting a bit fed up with the bike already to be honest. Maybe the Boardmans aren't that good after all or I'm just having bad luck :cry:

OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

I did the same when i got my spds i have fallen off 4 times to date it will get better

The first time I went out I didn't fall off but managed to fall onto my bike whilst unclipped at a junction...HOW?! That was quite funny but today has p*ssed me off :sad:

How long have you had SPDs?

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
Not really, some of the gears aren't engaging properly again. Getting a bit fed up with the bike already to be honest. Maybe the Boardmans aren't that good after all or I'm just having bad luck :cry:
If your bike landed dérailleur-side down, you may have bent the hanger. They're sort of designed to be fairly soft, a shock absorber to protect the mech. It won't be expensive to replace if that's why you can no longer use the full range of gears.

gavintc

Guru
A bike is not a thing, but a group of components. Your frame is a Boardman, the bits that make it a bike are made by lots of different manufacturers. Your bike is fine, but road bikes can be a pain to get balanced and set up. Gears are one of those things - sometimes they need constant attention and sometimes they will last for ages.

avsd

Guru
It happens to us all - sometimes in slow motion but it still hurts. Think of it as a 'rite of passage'. It does get better.

I hope you and the bike are OK. Keep :bicycle: it is worth it in the end.:thumbsup:

OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

If your bike landed dérailleur-side down, you may have bent the hanger. They're sort of designed to be fairly soft, a shock absorber to protect the mech. It won't be expensive to replace if that's why you can no longer use the full range of gears.

Ok cool, thank you. I think I'll take it down the LBS tomorrow morning and see if they can look at it quickly. I honestly feel like such a newbie at the moment, it's horrible.

OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

A bike is not a thing, but a group of components. Your frame is a Boardman, the bits that make it a bike are made by lots of different manufacturers. Your bike is fine, but road bikes can be a pain to get balanced and set up. Gears are one of those things - sometimes they need constant attention and sometimes they will last for ages.

Good point. It wouldn't surprise me if I have one that needs constant attention :girldance:

It's happened to everyone Boardgirl, everyone new to SPDs...even those who don't admit to it. Try not to get too angry about it.
Bikes are tougher than you might think and the LBS, all else failing, will get your gears back in working order.

(I presume you do know that on the rear of the pedal, or somewhere according to make, there is a tension adjuster, which with a little adjustment eases up the cleats a little. I have mine pretty loose for precisely the reason I don't want them too tight).

All the best.

OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

It happens to us all - sometimes in slow motion but it still hurts. Think of it as a 'rite of passage'. It does get better.

I hope you and the bike are OK. Keep :bicycle: it is worth it in the end.:thumbsup:

Yeah I was stopped but about to pull away. Perhaps I need to see it that I've been accepted ;) Just my pride that's shattered!

Thank you. Bit sore, never had so much green on my body from all the knocks but knowing it should get easier makes it all worthwhile :blush:

Top Bottom