Sympathy?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

It's happened to everyone Boardgirl, everyone new to SPDs...even those who don't admit to it. Try not to get too angry about it.
Bikes are tougher than you might think and the LBS, all else failing, will get your gears back in working order.

(I presume you do know that on the rear of the pedal, or somewhere according to make, there is a tension adjuster, which with a little adjustment eases up the cleats a little. I have mine pretty loose for precisely the reason I don't want them too tight).

All the best.

Thank you Monsieur Remings :smile: I just feel frustrated with myself, probably mainly because I'm embarrassed and keep cringing. I know it's just 'one of those things' but when it happens it's not nice.

I didn't know about the adjuster on the pedal, will take a look at that.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
There are two types of SPD users. Those who have fallen off ...and...those who have not fallen off...yet.

OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

It's a learning curve. But a Boardman is a more than adequate bike, so persevere.

My "SPD moment" was in front of a school bus queue. :blush:

It's nice to be reassured about my bike after all the initial dramas I had with it.

Oh god! How awful :blush: Were you alone? I'm so glad I wasn't as it would have been so much worse. Not that they could do anything at all to try and save me but it was nice to have someone ask if I was ok afterwards.

derrick

The Glue that binds us together.
Went out today for the second time since getting SPDs, and...fell off. Like it wasn't just a wobble, I totally stacked it at a junction! CRINGE!!

My other half tried clipless, fell of a couple of times she has gone back to flat pedals, she is so much more relaxed on her bike now, being clipless does not make you a proper cyclist. hope you heal quickly, any pics.^_^

Thank you Monsieur Remings :smile: I just feel frustrated with myself, probably mainly because I'm embarrassed and keep cringing. I know it's just 'one of those things' but when it happens it's not nice.

I didn't know about the adjuster on the pedal, will take a look at that.

I ride SPD-SLs but someone will know where the tension adjuster is on your model, so if you name the model, I'm sure someone will be able to tell you. Mine needs a tiny Allen key and I can't imagine yours would be that dissimilar.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
I have fallen off loads of times with SPDs, trouble is I have one bike with them and one bike without them, I forget which on is which sometimes. D'oh!

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Not really, some of the gears aren't engaging properly again. Getting a bit fed up with the bike already to be honest. Maybe the Boardmans aren't that good after all or I'm just having bad luck :cry:
Boardmans always come very high in cycling press reviews , got into the top 5 in cycling plus`s bike of the year.Mine has been a cracking bike over the last 2 years i have had it and i can safely say although an all singing dancing bike for £2k might be nice it would not make that much difference to my ride ability apart from having a lighter wallet as Mrs CK would have taken all my cash after the divorce :smile:
Sounds to me like you have had a string of mishaps that were not your fault with bike fit etc and i hope you persevere and the time when you ride your bike and enjoy every minute of it will come!
As for clipless moments we all have them initially and my 1st one was a right doozy when i stopped at a junction and forgot to take my foot out , wobble wobble , splat !
After a while you will be able to unclip even at a dead stop as you will have a few seconds to get your foot out , it just takes a bit of practise and time .

OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

Oh really? I've seen some improvements on my times the last couple of times I've been out so will keep at it.

Haha! I'll see what the bruise comes out like, it may be worthy of a picture ;)

OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

I ride SPD-SLs but someone will know where the tension adjuster is on your model, so if you name the model, I'm sure someone will be able to tell you. Mine needs a tiny Allen key and I can't imagine yours would be that dissimilar.

I got the Shimano M530's. I definitely need to do some reading up on all the bike stuff as still a bit clueless. Would like to be confident enough to adjust things myself and sort gears myself. Having to go to the LBS for everything at the moment.

Top Bottom