Sympathy?!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

Boardmans always come very high in cycling press reviews , got into the top 5 in cycling plus`s bike of the year.Mine has been a cracking bike over the last 2 years i have had it and i can safely say although an all singing dancing bike for £2k might be nice it would not make that much difference to my ride ability apart from having a lighter wallet as Mrs CK would have taken all my cash after the divorce :smile:
Sounds to me like you have had a string of mishaps that were not your fault with bike fit etc and i hope you persevere and the time when you ride your bike and enjoy every minute of it will come!
As for clipless moments we all have them initially and my 1st one was a right doozy when i stopped at a junction and forgot to take my foot out , wobble wobble , splat !
After a while you will be able to unclip even at a dead stop as you will have a few seconds to get your foot out , it just takes a bit of practise and time .

Yeah you're right, I think I've just had some bad luck and need to just take it as a learning curve. I will keep at it, got a few missions to accomplish this month and have QOM'd on Strava so it'd be rude NOT to get some more of those beauties ;)

That's the weirdest thing, it's like I knew I was going and I just had to let myself fall as I certainly couldn't have stayed upright!

OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

Did you practise unclipping? Leaning on a lampost and repeatedly doing it, then the same on a test ride. It needs to be 2nd nature. Saying that, it happens to us all, even Comedy Pilot, except his fall will be bigger for taking the pee :B)

Hehe! Yeah I did but was on a turbo trainer so doesn't really count. The first time I went out with them it was fine but I was making a point of saying to myself before a junction 'Don't forget to un-clip'...I didn't do that today and tried to pull off quickly up a slight hill in the totally wrong gear :banghead:

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=m530 spd tension adjuster&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&ved=0CEMQtwIwBA&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPjbDIULqqw&ei=9CWEUYi_DIyKOL3NgKAN&usg=AFQjCNEThtOzkgcLlo3Qhs8O_O27SOCY7g

This will help you locate the tension adjustment on the M530s and all that's required is the right Allen key. I'd start by loosening them (-) until it feels, as Crackle says, '2nd nature' when you click out.

The video shows both SPD and SPDsl pedals so fast forward the vid to about 1' 24. Good luck!

Canrider

Guru
I didn't know about the adjuster on the pedal, will take a look at that.
Do take a look. I've always had mine set to the loosest possible setting and have never had a foot come loose other than when I needed/wanted it to.
Think of SPDs as ski bindings--if you go on the slopes as a beginner, they deliberately set your bindings as loose as possible so your feet come out easily in the inevitable crash. Bikes is no different.

My other advice is *practice*. Sit on the saddle with the bike up next to a wall (front hallways are great), and work the 'clip in' 'clip out' movement a few times, then when you go out, think 'clip out' as you come up to a light so you're ready for the 'clip out' move when you stop.

deptfordmarmoset

Full time tea drinker
The other thing is to get into a starting gear as you slow down. You can break and shift down at the same time, you just need to keep the pedals turning slowly. That way you're good to go when the way is clear.

I think most people who use SPDs fall off at some point. I had my moment half way up a steep hill. I've gone back to flats, but might put the SPDs back on some day. I still ride with my bike shoes though.
I like to be on flats when I go anywhere new.

buggi

Bird Saviour
your boardman is fine, the person who built it might be a monkey... so take your bike to a real bike shop and ask them to check the set up and gears, and give a once over.

i fell off 3 times on my SPuDs before working out that i was unclipping the foot in the 6 o'clock position (because that's where its easiest to unclip) and then trying to put down the foot in the 12 o'clock that was still clipped in (because it's the natural thing to do to put the higher foot down). Doh! once i worked it out, never had another fall (although i did have a few heart stopping "moments" where i thought i was going to!). Second nature now. stick with it.

My friend had a clipless moment at a red light and fell on top of someone's car bonnet!. Awkward!

Trail Child

Had a clipless moment last week. After riding all winter on flats and only using the Speedplays in the basement, I totally forgot and fell over. Still picking out grit from my palms.

OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=m530 spd tension adjuster&source=web&cd=5&cad=rja&ved=0CEMQtwIwBA&url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rPjbDIULqqw&ei=9CWEUYi_DIyKOL3NgKAN&usg=AFQjCNEThtOzkgcLlo3Qhs8O_O27SOCY7g

This will help you locate the tension adjustment on the M530s and all that's required is the right Allen key. I'd start by loosening them (-) until it feels, as Crackle says, '2nd nature' when you click out.

The video shows both SPD and SPDsl pedals so fast forward the vid to about 1' 24. Good luck!

Thank you! I'll have a look at the video and see if I can figure it out. It has been a bit tricky clipping in on my left foot too so might be an idea to loosen them.

It did. I was 50 miles into the Big G Grimpeur Des Wolds sportive, and lost concentration and rode onto the verge. Got bruised ribs, but finished the ride - climbing was difficult as it was painful holding the bars, so I rode most of the second half back one handed.

Ouch! Good for you for carrying on, bruised ribs must have been so sore :sad:

Do take a look. I've always had mine set to the loosest possible setting and have never had a foot come loose other than when I needed/wanted it to.
Think of SPDs as ski bindings--if you go on the slopes as a beginner, they deliberately set your bindings as loose as possible so your feet come out easily in the inevitable crash. Bikes is no different.

My other advice is *practice*. Sit on the saddle with the bike up next to a wall (front hallways are great), and work the 'clip in' 'clip out' movement a few times, then when you go out, think 'clip out' as you come up to a light so you're ready for the 'clip out' move when you stop.

I definitely need to remember the 'clip out' thing in my head, I just forgot earlier, had been going down a steep hill and didn't change gear. I hope it's one of those things where once you've made the mistake it'll make you think twice.

Canrider

Guru
If it helps, get them both out. Your brakes are stopping you, so pop both feet out as you approach the point you want to stop, then whichever way you 'fall' you've got a foot free. No shame in having them out Easy Rider style...

OP
OP
Boardgirl

Boardgirl

The other thing is to get into a starting gear as you slow down. You can break and shift down at the same time, you just need to keep the pedals turning slowly. That way you're good to go when the way is clear.

Yeah that's good advice, I think I just need to not let my mind wander at the moment. To be honest, I'm still getting used to cycling in rush hour traffic. Find people really ignorant on the roads, need to build up my confidence.

I think most people who use SPDs fall off at some point. I had my moment half way up a steep hill. I've gone back to flats, but might put the SPDs back on some day. I still ride with my bike shoes though.
I like to be on flats when I go anywhere new.

Eek! Up a hill, not good :sad:

your boardman is fine, the person who built it might be a monkey... so take your bike to a real bike shop and ask them to check the set up and gears, and give a once over.

i fell off 3 times on my SPuDs before working out that i was unclipping the foot in the 6 o'clock position (because that's where its easiest to unclip) and then trying to put down the foot in the 12 o'clock that was still clipped in (because it's the natural thing to do to put the higher foot down). Doh! once i worked it out, never had another fall (although i did have a few heart stopping "moments" where i thought i was going to!). Second nature now. stick with it.

My friend had a clipless moment at a red light and fell on top of someone's car bonnet!. Awkward!

It's had a twice over already and looks like it needs a third :sad: Just the way it goes I guess.

Yeah thinking about it, that's exactly what I'm doing. What's the best way round?

Oh god, that is so awful. Awkward! To a driver who has no idea about cycling, they SO wouldn't get it either would they!!

Top Bottom