Synchronising cassettes to rear derailleur (2 wheel sets)

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I have 2 wheel sets for my gravel bike which have an identical cassette however if i swap the wheels then each time i need to adjust the rear derailleur to suit. It’s not a big adjustment but it certainly needs doing. I can only assume there’s a small difference in how far the cassette sits along the hub or indeed the design of the hub, perhaps there’s a 2mm difference or so. The hubs are a different brand to each other so maybe that’s the mistake ?

Was wondering if i can shim the cassette or adjust the spacer some how ?

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
you have sussed it , different brands have slightly different spacing and set ups so unless your running the same brand you will need to tweak .

OP
OP
Ridgeway

Ridgeway

Veteran
you have sussed it , different brands have slightly different spacing and set ups so unless your running the same brand you will need to tweak .

Thanks. Surprised as both wheel sets were custom builds for the original owner and I know the shop as being very competent but equally it’s what I had thought originally. I’ll maybe see if I get a spare full size spacer and mill it down to compensate for the set that has the cassette too far in. Beyond that I’ll just have to remember the gear adjustment setting each time 😀

Paulus

Started young, and still going.
Exactly. I have had the same when putting a different rear wheel on, with the same OLN measurements. The rear mech always needs a tweak.

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I run 7-speed cassettes on both 7-speed native and 10-speed hubs (with spacer), and they can be swapped with no fiddling if you find the sweet spot of cable adjustment. It is still possible to adjust so one wheel works, but not the other!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Good tip and did a search and found this:

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=webrmt2NzAE

Same issue, different application !

Off to find a spacer set 🤔

Got some off Amazon, various mm sizes. I seem to have some old half mm ones in the spares box. I've two wheelsets I need to fine tune with the current wheels on two bikes.

Top Bottom