T-boned a runner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
Pavements (including any path along the side of a road) should be used if provided. Where possible, avoid being next to the kerb with your back to the traffic. If you have to step into the road, look both ways first. Always show due care and consideration for others.
If there is no pavement keep to the right-hand side of the road so that you can see oncoming traffic.
You should take extra care and be prepared to walk in single file, especially on narrow roads or in poor light keep close to the side of the road
It may be safer to cross the road well before a sharp right-hand bend so that oncoming traffic has a better chance of seeing you. Cross back after the bend.

Forgive my previous witterins....lets mow the f*ggers down!!

T x

tdr1nka

Taking the biscuit
I forgot to say that I always helmet mount my lights when on the trike as I can then illuminate/temporarily blind any likely offending Ped to let them know I'm approaching. That plus the bell and they freeze, likely in fear of being hit by an invisible ice cream van.

Now I come to think of it, could we 'bent riders use flare guns to warn of our approach?

Tx

Saddle bum said:
Peds wouldn't argue with a car, so why do they try and play chicken with bike riders? Some "Duh-brained" schoolgirl walked out on me even after seeing me quite clearly. I just screamed "Gedouthef******gway" at the top of my voice. It made her pee her pants. Just up the road were two Plod on MTBs, both learing at the sixth form girls leaving school. I asked why they weren't controlling these suicidal kids and they said it wasn't their job any more.

I had exactly this this morning. Nowhere to go on the right, three stupid trollops on the left in the cycle lane. I had to palm the outside one off.

Arch

Married to Night Train
Was the guy runnng towards the OP, or away from. If he was on the same side of the road, he should have been running towards...

That said, I wouldn't rely on anyone not to suddenly do something daft anyway...

domtyler

Über Member
betty swollocks said:
With respect, may I suggest that you re-read my comments. I believe I did. I shouted a warning and gave him a wide berth. What else would you have had me do being that I am not clairvoyant?

Er, apply brakes?

domtyler

Über Member
yenrod said:
>Inflicting a serious assault on a "kid" is definitely not 'cool'

The way kids act nowadays DOM the deal is this: most are beligerent little ****ers and beleive me I keep it real to them, if I need to, they dont give me any respect i dont give them any - elders ARE to be respected. I was brought up to respect older people as they have been her LONGER and so can show me and educate me about things...!

If parents like you 'parented properly' then an assault would not be needed.

I know DAM, you will not like this but i dont give a dam as I beleive in bringing up kids to HAVE respect and show others respect too !

Respect has to be earned Yenord. You would do well to remember that next time you feel like launching another attack on me. :smile::angry:;)

domtyler said:
Respect has to be earned Yenord. You would do well to remember that next time you feel like launching another attack on me. :biggrin::angry::biggrin:

Actually I only half agree with that. It's a cause of many ills to think that people don't deserve respect from the off.

Respect should be assumed until you can prove otherwise.

domtyler

Über Member
Crackle said:
Actually I only half agree with that. It's a cause of many ills to think that people don't deserve respect from the off.

Respect should be assumed until you can prove otherwise.

No, respect is something that you earn, it does not come automatically, it comes from what you have achieved and how you treat other people.

Do you respect ALL people who just happen to be older than you?

Arch

Married to Night Train
To return to the OP, we had a chap come to a roadshow once, a right nutter, reckoned 'bents shouldn't be allowed on the road, because of the spikey chainring at the front. Our 'bent rider said, well, I do my best not to run anyone down, and even if I did, I'd do them less damage than a car going the same speed. Ah, said this nutter, no, cars are designed so that you just roll off if you get hit...

We refrained from suggesting he run out and get hit by a car at 30mph or more, so that we could see him 'just roll off'....

In defense of betty here, I've hit a runner under the same conditions - you would not believe how fast they change direction unless someone has done it to you. It is so unbelievable, you literally hit them before you get the chance to do anything about it.

When it happened to me I was zipping along at a healthy 25mph, making use of the slight downhill slope. I saw the runner from a long way off and moved to the RHS of the lane and gave a good "On yer-right!" shout. He didn't turn to look and so I started to move a little further over then he just did a 90degree turn without looking and wham! I was airborne and he was thrown down into the road.

domtyler said:
No, respect is something that you earn, it does not come automatically, it comes from what you have achieved and how you treat other people.

Do you respect ALL people who just happen to be older than you?

What has age got to do with it?

I find there's a growing trend amongst people to belittle others achievments with little understanding of what sacrifices or obstacles have been overcome to get there. It doesn't matter if someone has achieved less or more than you, or do you only look up to achievment?

The attitude that people should earn respect goes hand in hand with looking out and thinking about no.1, yourself. If you give people little credit for what they've done then don't expect to recieve it back. Respect earns respect not achievment.

barq

Glad you are both all right, that's the important thing.

andygates said:
Pedestrians are funny creatures. If you alert them, some will freeze, some will leap away from you, some toward you, some will wave their arms around furiously... and there is absolutely no way of telling which one they will be until it happens.

There is a variety in Surrey who initially react by moving to one side, but then decide they prefer the look of the other side of the lane and do a last minute switch. There is a more technically advanced version of this move where pedestrians move safely to opposite sides of the road, and then swap sides at the last minute. For extra mayhem there is also a 'release the dog' variant which I particularly like. :biggrin:

Mac66

I think this is the peds fault. Shouldn't he be on the other side of the road, walking into the flow of traffic so that he can see what's coming?

Just have to assume that all other "road users" are idiots who have some type of bike radar ...err no pun intended about that Other Place... that causes them to take bizarre life threatening risks or hurl insults when you get near them. At the very least this attitude will prevent damage to you and more importantly your bike.:smile:

OP
OP
betty swollocks

betty swollocks

large member
domtyler said:
Er, apply brakes?
I refer you the the bit in my original post where I mentioned that my Hope minis brought me to a halt. You may be able to infer something from that.

Often I find that the best way to behave with the foot brigade when they have their backs to you is to decide on your course and go for it, giving them as wide a berth as possible. Even when you give them fair warning, as I found out, there's no predicting which way they're going to go and they can change direction very quickly!

Top Bottom