Tablets and mapping

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
This is a question for someone who has actually done it and not anyone who thinks they know how to do it.

Has anyone used a tablet out on tour, to map a route and then download it to a Garmin device.

If so which tablet and which device.

I don't think it can be done

I have downloaded routes from the Garmon to the iPad but there is no functionality within Garmin Connect to upload to the GPS

U

User33236

Provide you have an android table able to do USB OTG then looking at the plotaroute website you should be able to download the gpx and copy it across to the appropriate folder on your Garmin.

iOS on Apple devices will not be able to do so due to restrictions on what they can do via their 30 connector / lightning connector.

jay clock

Massive member
A side benefit is to take screenshots of all the relevant maps (viaMichelin is what i use for France/Spain) and save them on the iPad. That allows zooming in detailed mapping for offline usage. I also use free offline mapping from Maps.Me on my Android - stunningly good, and you can put these on the iPad too, except that non-Simcard iPads do not have GPS. Still very very useful though

... I also use free offline mapping from Maps.Me on my Android - stunningly good, and you can put these on the iPad too, except that non-Simcard iPads do not have GPS. Still very very useful though
Thanks for the heads up. Handy to have offline options. I do tend to use my Garmin Edge 810 but having the mapping on the iPad is handy for planning purposes on the tour.

Andrew

I tried this last year, I can use my Nexus 7 to upload pre-planned BRT routes to my Etrex20, but couldn't plot on BRT without taking a USB mouse via OTG (more crap to carry). However the rather splendid cycle.travel might work on a touch interface - sadly my Nexus is a bit spannered so I can't check, anyone else tried cycle.travel on a tablet?

OK I managed to fire up the Nexus 7 (2012) and browsing via chrome to cycle.travel/map takes you straight to the plotting page and site works as expected. Route planning via input fields (placenames or Lat/Lon) is as usual. Touch screen support works, a tap sets the start point, then any further taps are either via points or just the finish. GPS icon saves the gpx/tcx into the Nexus memory, can't try OTG (can't find it) but worst case is then an export to OTG microSD as I think last year I saved my cloud stored gpx/tcx onto the Etrex microSD and not straight to the Etrex via USB cable.
An OTG mouse needs to be a wireless (ie self powered) version to work, fairly compact and batteries could be lithium for weight weenies/long life.
I'd imagine a Hudl2 with its buit in microSD reader would be a nice touring solution (and I do need a new tablet :smile: )

OK I've just tried plotaroute and it sort of works on a tablet, disadvantage is just down to plotaroute workings so anyone used to it should be OK as it will drop a file onto Nexus - to be used as detailed above. Big disadvantage to me is it having no cycle routing like cycle.travel or BRT, my test route took 6 clicks instead of 2, and needed toggling from walk to car (autoplot off may be quicker?). Found OTG cable but can't get it to work with anything, so can't try exporting to anything - built in micro SD inherently better in any case. I think when I dropped my Nexus I have killed more than just a corner of the screen and bezel :cry: upgrade time ^_^

jnrmczip

Use plotaroute like said before on tablet and download the gpx file then upload it to garmin site. As I don't have a garmin yet I use osmand app on my phone to load the gpx file from plot a route and follow it on my phone gives directions also little blips now and then but free so can deal with them

jay clock

Massive member
Check this out. I don't think you can plan a route on it but it has proven extremely helpful for us. We have it installed on our smart phones and the tablet we take along.
that is the one I quoted earlier, maps.me - ideal if you are lost and simply need to see EXACTLY where you are. I have the premium version of a couple of quid that allows you to search for a location. Stunning app

The iPad for tourig is a little cumbersome

file-4.jpg

file-7.jpg

Top Bottom