Tack-dropping since Feb 2014 in inner Melbourne, no end in sight

Discussion in 'Advocacy and Cycling Safety' started by Shut Up Legs, 11 May 2014.

1. If it were multiple people, it would be more widespread. The Dandenong incident is probably a copy cat, but it would have spread to beach Road if there were others joining in.

2. OP
    OP
    Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs Down Under Member

Now a cyclist has been fined for riding clear of the tack-throwing zone. I hate this country. :sad:
    https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/f...&sid=0565b4321339712cf5118f595808c890#p679334

3. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

4. OP
    OP
    Shut Up Legs

The cyclist's fine for avoiding the tack-strewn bike lane was also posted on Farcebook:
    https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26910&start=960#p679334

Our road rules explicitly state that we can avoid a bike lane if it is "impracticable" to use, and having tacks scattered over it does (in my opinion) make it impracticable, but it would have to be tested in court, and I don't know if the cyclist who was fined is willing to contest the fine or not.

classic33 likes this.
  5. growingvegetables

growingvegetables Guru

:eek:

6. Milkfloat

Milkfloat Veteran

Fine has been rescinded, but because the lane in question does not meet the legal definition of a compulsory bike lane.

7. OP
    OP
    Shut Up Legs

Yes, I just read that a moment ago in the thread I linked above. :smile: I must admit I didn't see that one coming, but I'm probably over-cynical. It's nice to see something working out in favour of cyclists for a change.

raleighnut likes this.
  8. OP
    OP
    Shut Up Legs

9. ianrauk

ianrauk Tattooed Beat Messiah

I can't believe it's still going on, but then again, after hearing all your stories about Aussie car drivers and Franks horrific read about his Indipac ride. I don't think I would want to cycle Australia anytime soon.

10. It's almost certainly copy cats at this point.

(I've got to say, tacks notwithstanding, I enjoy cycling in and around Melbourne. I'd be disinclined to do the Indian Pacific even in a car)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice