Tack-dropping since Feb 2014 in inner Melbourne, no end in sight

Discussion in 'Advocacy and Cycling Safety' started by Shut Up Legs, 11 May 2014.

1. Pat "5mph"

Pat "5mph" A kilogrammicaly challenged woman Moderator

Taking turns in watching could be the answer.

2. OP
    OP
    Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs Down Under Member

A bit more info: http://www.news.com.au/national/vic...h/news-story/ae683bf0e89027c17b14d8734c6a18be

Sadly enough, I think all the publicity just gives this nutcase more motivation.

classic33 likes this.
  3. Ganymede

Ganymede Veteran

I'm glad to see in that article that the police are making a good effort. It seemed like you cyclists were on your own a bit to begin with. Also that the net seems to be closing - good luck with this Victor, it really is sick in the head.

4. atbman

atbman Veteran

If he's buying 1000s of tacks, some company must have some idea (unless s/he owns it of course)

5. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

It's not just plain tacks being dropped though.
    How far would 20 kilo of tacks go?

6. Now here's a way you can put all those head cams to good use. If he is following the clean up car around position a couple of dozen head cams in the bushes, send the clean up car down and see what happens.

7. Arrowfoot

Arrowfoot Veteran

This has been going for a couple of years and its seems the council, the Police, the cyclists and every man and his dog has done everything ordinarily possible. There is also the suggestion it is a cyclist within the same community. The length of the road and the surroundings I understand does not lend itself easily to the usual surveillance operations.

It will probably take a road death that is directly attributed to the tacks and then it will become murder. Thereafter it will go to the serious boys and sophisticated covert stuff such as thermal imaging etc will come into play. The cycling community offer of volunteer 24/7 have not been accepted by the Police.

8. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

9. OP
    OP
    Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs Down Under Member

Now apparently tacks have been dropped on the most popular mountain road in the Melbourne area for cyclists:
    https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26910&p=676364#p676364
    Hundreds of cyclists ride up and down this road every Saturday and Sunday.

This is a 6.75km section of road with an average 4.4% grade, and if cyclists riding down this road, quite commonly at speeds of about 50-60km/h, were to get tacks in their front wheels, the outcome could be disastrous. :sad:

10. If I was a sadistic cycle hater. Thats where I would have started with the tacks.

The link doesnt work though.

I bet nobody has thought that this could be a cyclist dropping tacks as he rides along. Why he would do it, I dont know. But this person is a nutter.

11. Ganymede

Ganymede Veteran

I'm sorry to hear this, victor.

12. I'd guess this is a copy cat. After someone has been able to do this with impunity for 2 years, in a busy inner suburban area, it's no wonder someone else has decided they can get away with it on country roads. They'll never catch this one, so that's a pretty retrograde step for cycling in Melbourne.

@steveindenmark link works fine for me. Here's the text, for your elucidation
    Update, severe LOLs from me. The petition mentioned above is illustrated with a stock photo taken in Box Hill Surrey.

Last edited: 6 Mar 2016
  13. Drago

Drago Guru

How long before some cycling vigilante gets fed up and starts targeting cars with caltrops an improvised stingers?

14. glenn forger

glenn forger Guest

A cynical news manipulator would hire attractive twins to pose with a dog with its foot in a bandage and the headline "Catch this monster!"

And why are they linking the incidents with what some random whackjob says online about cyclists? If the cops did that here they'd have eleventy million suspects.

15. Ganymede

Ganymede Veteran

Gonna hafta TMN you there - for the dog, though not for the twins! ;)

classic33 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice