Tack-dropping since Feb 2014 in inner Melbourne, no end in sight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Now it's also occurring on Mt Dandenong, a very popular cycling spot in Melbourne's eastern suburbs:
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=89234

As reported at the start of the above thread, the initial tack-dropping occurred in mid-March, and then yesterday (a Monday public holiday in Australia, for ANZAC Day), a lot of cyclists ended up with punctures, due to more tacks being dropped. The stupidity of dropping tacks on sloping, bending mountain roads like these is incredible, because the potential for serious injury or death from a front tyre blowout definitely exists.

I really need to win a lottery, and move out of this cyclist-hating country. :sad:

jarlrmai

Veteran
Ludicrous that this is still going on.

classic33

Leg End Member
Actually, here's a news article on it, too. The CCTV shot looks a bit like a Impressionist painting, though. :rolleyes:
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/p...ase-of-the-boulie-tacker-20160615-gpjtsu.html
He's taking a chance, no shoes.

Detective Senior Sergeant Mark Standish said he hoped the breakthrough was enough to track down the culprit and stop the tacks from being dropped.

"It's been an outrageous event that's been happening over a two-year period now," he said. "It's a pathetic, ridiculous act. If they've got a gripe with cyclists this isn't the way to go about it."

Last edited:

Custom24

Über Member
Detective Senior Sergeant Mark Standish said ..."It's a pathetic, ridiculous act. If they've got a gripe with cyclists this isn't the way to go about it."

So having a "gripe" with cyclists, as a group, is not a problem in itself? That quote from a police officer stinks, but from what I've read of Oz attitudes to cyclists, it doesn't surprise me.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
He's taking a chance, no shoes.

Detective Senior Sergeant Mark Standish said he hoped the breakthrough was enough to track down the culprit and stop the tacks from being dropped.

"It's been an outrageous event that's been happening over a two-year period now," he said. "It's a pathetic, ridiculous act. If they've got a gripe with cyclists this isn't the way to go about it."
Yes, now that you mention it, I think it would have been very fitting if he'd stepped on one of his own tacks (assuming of course that he is the tack-thrower, and not just some random anti-cyclist person out to vandalise the bicycle repair station).

dodgy

Read some of the comments on the Guardian article. I despair.

Lonestar

Veteran
These dickheads wouldn't stop me.I'd go back onto solid tyres to beat this.I know a guy at work who has solid tyres.

These people have got an effing cheek.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Apparently they've had the images for months but were waiting for their IT guys to clean them up. FFS just release them, a thousand cycling nerds on the internet will clean them up for you

Top Bottom