Tack-dropping since Feb 2014 in inner Melbourne, no end in sight

Discussion in 'Advocacy and Cycling Safety' started by Shut Up Legs, 11 May 2014.

1. OP
    OP
    Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs Down Under Member

Now it's also occurring on Mt Dandenong, a very popular cycling spot in Melbourne's eastern suburbs:
    http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=89234

As reported at the start of the above thread, the initial tack-dropping occurred in mid-March, and then yesterday (a Monday public holiday in Australia, for ANZAC Day), a lot of cyclists ended up with punctures, due to more tacks being dropped. The stupidity of dropping tacks on sloping, bending mountain roads like these is incredible, because the potential for serious injury or death from a front tyre blowout definitely exists.

I really need to win a lottery, and move out of this cyclist-hating country. :sad:

2. jarlrmai

jarlrmai Veteran

Ludicrous that this is still going on.

3. OP
    OP
    Shut Up Legs

4. OP
    OP
    Shut Up Legs

5. classic33

classic33 Legendary Member

He's taking a chance, no shoes.

Detective Senior Sergeant Mark Standish said he hoped the breakthrough was enough to track down the culprit and stop the tacks from being dropped.

"It's been an outrageous event that's been happening over a two-year period now," he said. "It's a pathetic, ridiculous act. If they've got a gripe with cyclists this isn't the way to go about it."

Last edited: 15 Jun 2016
  6. Custom24

Custom24 Über Member

So having a "gripe" with cyclists, as a group, is not a problem in itself? That quote from a police officer stinks, but from what I've read of Oz attitudes to cyclists, it doesn't surprise me.

jarlrmai likes this.
  7. OP
    OP
    Shut Up Legs

Yes, now that you mention it, I think it would have been very fitting if he'd stepped on one of his own tacks (assuming of course that he is the tack-thrower, and not just some random anti-cyclist person out to vandalise the bicycle repair station).

classic33 likes this.
  8. fimm

fimm Veteran

9. dodgy

dodgy Guru

Read some of the comments on the Guardian article. I despair.

10. Lonestar

Lonestar Rat Run Cyclist

These dickheads wouldn't stop me.I'd go back onto solid tyres to beat this.I know a guy at work who has solid tyres.

These people have got an effing cheek.

classic33 likes this.
  11. If someone had caused criminal damage to 500-800 cars, leading to some serious injuries, do you think the police would be sitting on poor quality CCTV images for 6 months?

Lonestar, Dayvo, classic33 and 2 others like this.
  12. Lonestar

Lonestar Rat Run Cyclist

Just a vigilante I reckon they could catch this guy if they put some effort into it.

13. OP
    OP
    Shut Up Legs

classic33 likes this.
  14. jarlrmai

jarlrmai Veteran

Still think it's multiple people, hopefully they catch them/him this time.

15. jarlrmai

jarlrmai Veteran

Apparently they've had the images for months but were waiting for their IT guys to clean them up. FFS just release them, a thousand cycling nerds on the internet will clean them up for you

classic33 likes this.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice