Tack-dropping since Feb 2014 in inner Melbourne, no end in sight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Also from another local paper: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/leader/...-yarra-boulevard/story-fngnvlpt-1227333950457
No reader comments on either, yet, not that I'm planning to read them anyway, given the typical response any remotely cycling-related article gets.
Made certain TV channels news as well. And not just the cyclist side of things either.
It seems young kids have fallen foul of the tacks.

Ganymede

Veteran
This is disgusting. The local council put up repair stations, then the locals cut the pump hoses. :sad: I've been feeling pretty depressed lately, because as a cyclist I just don't feel welcome in my own country any more.
http://www.bicycles.net.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=14&t=73354&p=1252783#p1252783
Whatever punishment these bastards get when they finally get caught, it won't be enough.
Hi Victor, I really feel for you - this is just mindless. What the hell is their problem? Well, hugs from the UK anyway. :hugs:

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/news/la...0777809?utm_source=dlvr.it&utm_medium=twitter

Detective Sergeant Mark Patrick labelled the incident one of the most callous incidents he’d ever seen.

“He came up behind the cyclist striking the cyclist in the rear tyre … killing the rider instantly,” he said.

“Witnesses have said there was no attempt made by the driver to stop or avoid the cyclist and it makes me wonder whether it was actually a deliberate act by this person.

“Police from the Major Collision Investigation Unit are investigating the collision and have identified parts from the vehicle.

jarlrmai

Veteran
Sounds like he deliberately drove into the back of that guy at speed.... wow talk about your worst nightmare.

Found the vehicle:

http://www.theguardian.com/australi...-that-killed-cyclist-may-have-been-deliberate

Comments are interesting:

Now, I'm conscious of being a clichéd, anecdotal, knee-jerker, blaming-the-media-for-everything-type-person here – but I seriously think it's past time for a very frank discussion about the role the media plays in stigmatising cyclists. The day after Gordon was killed, A Current Affair ran a story about cyclists being a menace to society.

I'm a very experienced cyclist. I reckon I cop unwarranted abuse from motorists at least twice a week on my daily commute to work. Most of the time, they're spewing out the same divisive, vitriolic clickbait that News Corp regurgitates on a cyclical basis. Where's the accountability?

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
It's bloody Mad Max in Aussie !!! REALLY. Might have been why my mate didn't spend too long in that massive country - he is cycling his way around the planet - and avoiding cold. He didn't spend long in Australia. Sepnt months in SE Asia/Thailand 'area', including the 'mined' parts of Vietnam - says something !!!

classic33

Leg End Member
It's bloody Mad Max in Aussie !!! REALLY. Might have been why my mate didn't spend too long in that massive country - he is cycling his way around the planet - and avoiding cold. He didn't spend long in Australia. Sepnt months in SE Asia/Thailand 'area', including the 'mined' parts of Vietnam - says something !!!
Police now fear that the driver may have been stalking the cyclist, and may be doing the same to other cyclists.

Would it be better splitting these posts off onto a seperate thread?

jarlrmai

Veteran
When we are being targeted like this it's a hate crime I have no doubt.

This statement is interesting, given the recent arrests for threats of violence on Twitter towards people

“If you read online comments, there’s a lot of vitriol aimed at cyclists but what people say anonymously isn’t closely related to their behaviour, very few people want to hurt another human being.

So when the target is cyclists it's okay?

I know twitter isn't quite as anonymous as a newspaper comments article but it still takes investigation to find out who someone is on Twitter unless they are blatant about it.

I agree this should be another thread though.

Last edited:
It's a crazy situation. Spiked metal objects are left by someone with the direct intention of hurting a section of society, newspapers maintain a sustained campaign of hatred and resentment against the same section of society and an official says that when members of the public say "I want to kill that section of society" it's just banter.

I don't understand why it's in this thread. Sure, it's in the same state as the tacks, but that state (one of the smallest) is larger than Britain. There's no real connection between these incidents. I don't think they are even similar in many ways. One is vigilantism, trying through dangerous and illegal means to drive away a group of people, and the other seems like a serial killer.

classic33

Leg End Member
I don't understand why it's in this thread. Sure, it's in the same state as the tacks, but that state (one of the smallest) is larger than Britain. There's no real connection between these incidents. I don't think they are even similar in many ways. One is vigilantism, trying through dangerous and illegal means to drive away a group of people, and the other seems like a serial killer.
That last part is what the Police seem to be worried about.

Top Bottom