Tack-dropping since Feb 2014 in inner Melbourne, no end in sight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
It's still occuring, and worse still, there have been recent reports of tacks and other sharp objects (some custom-made) in other inner-city locations.
https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/f...&sid=b1b0f2671035688bcc0f5d884d9d680c#p663996

By the way, have any of you tried the Tannus tyres, mentioned in the thread post in the above link? Apart from their obvious puncture-resistance, what are the drawbacks, e.g. poor rolling resistance, hard to put on and off, etc. ?
One council Yarra Council now advising you to watch for and report such finds. Although these have been found in gardens.
Nothing accidental about these. Similar devices have been found elsewhere, on roads.
tacks-found-in-Edinburgh-Gardens.jpg

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
It's still occuring, and worse still, there have been recent reports of tacks and other sharp objects (some custom-made) in other inner-city locations.
https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/f...&sid=b1b0f2671035688bcc0f5d884d9d680c#p663996

By the way, have any of you tried the Tannus tyres, mentioned in the thread post in the above link? Apart from their obvious puncture-resistance, what are the drawbacks, e.g. poor rolling resistance, hard to put on and off, etc. ?

I wrote about 3500 words as a Tannus review at http://veloballs.com/go/tannus

It has since been added to by another cycle chater who has done more miles on these solid tyres than I have. I'd say they get better the more you ride them.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Probably the wrong sort of prick for that.

Looking at those metal triangle things I'm fairly sure the Tannus would just squash them!

I know that Tannus are doing tons of publicity at the moment so I'd recommend contacting the Australian distributor and asking if they fancy trading some tyres for some publicity on the ultimate testing ground! Seriously!

There seems to be a whole cottage industry making these caltrops (thanks bicyclenetwork for the word!), yet I can't find any mention of it in the mainstream press. Now they are putting them in parks and gardens, someone is going to get seriously hurt.
B6UjyHbCIAI_3Hp.jpg

But I guess the police are focusing on more important things, such as drivers being bothered. "Nothing bothers a car driver more, who's caught in traffic, than having a cyclist stop at the traffic lights, check that it's OK and then disobey the traffic light,"

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/p...und-in-edinburgh-gardens-20150104-12hodo.html
Apparently, if the tacks end up in parks, it's a criminal act (and warning signs are immediately erected, and council staff immediately start removing the tacks), but if they end up on a road heavily used*** by cyclists, then "we'll get around to investigating it eventually". Hypocrites.

I hate to think of what would occur if a cyclist gets a tack in his/her front wheel and loses control of the bike, perhaps with a car not too far behind. :sad:

*** At least, 10.5 months ago it was - that's how long the tacks have been being dropped on this road.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
The tacks continue to be dropped along Yarra Boulevard 1 year (minus 1 week) on, and now it appears that copycats (or perhaps even the same person/people?) are trying the stunt on other popular bicycle paths:
https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/f...&sid=589e733d6e46c01a30886aa53318e963#p665642

Apparently, this one even made Melbourne's Lord Mayor take notice (that's the reference to Robert Doyle on the forum page I just linked). As one of the forum members so aptly stated: "mongrels".

Ganymede

Veteran
Oh victor, when I saw that you had posted again on this thread I was SO hoping it was going to be a link to a newspaper article saying "TACK DROPPING SCUM ARRESTED" with a subhead of "Culprits caught in the act and on camera" and a further subhead saying "Two of the filthy miscreants broke their legs trying to escape".

:sad:

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Oh victor, when I saw that you had posted again on this thread I was SO hoping it was going to be a link to a newspaper article saying "TACK DROPPING SCUM ARRESTED" with a subhead of "Culprits caught in the act and on camera" and a further subhead saying "Two of the filthy miscreants broke their legs trying to escape".

:sad:
How much I wish that were true. :sad:

classic33

Leg End Member
Nice to know that the Authorities are doing as well as could be expected, on trying to stop it.
Nowt by the looks of things!

Ganymede

Veteran
Hi Victor - can't believe it's still going on!

However, I suggest a strategy.

Find someone with 2 cute golden labradors.
Pose pictures of one of them with a wounded foot (blood on a bandage) and the other one looking sad.
Release a story about how the wounded one got a potentially deadly infection from picking up a tack deep in his paw and may not live.
Extra pic of the healthy dog refusing food or lying down looking sad, being fruitlessly encouraged by its 12-year-old owner who has raised them from a pup.
Express outrage.

Might work, the Aussies are like the Pommies where animals are concerned....

Seriously though, what the police have said they are doing is majorly pathetic, striding about visibly and asking people instead of surveillance.

Top Bottom