Tack-dropping since Feb 2014 in inner Melbourne, no end in sight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
Not a great deal, as far as I can tell. They've asked the public to give any information, of course, but I doubt very much they've donated much resources to this. It's very difficult to catch the culprit, because the tacks are most likely being thrown during quiet times, and when nobody appears to be looking.
This post from a Victorian cycling forum might help to clarify what I said: even when the local council, road dept and police work together, they still can't find the perpetrator:
https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&p=661581#p661581
So to be fair, they're probably just as frustrated and angry as the rest of the cyclists who normally use this road for commuting and/or training.

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
I can't believe how persistent this moron is :angry:. 9 months and still he's at it. This post (and the next) on a local forum shows that more people got tacks this weekend:
https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/forums/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=26910&p=662838#p662829

dodgy

Every time I read a thread about Australia and cycling, it's often depressing. What is it with Australia and its attitudes to cycling? I thought this was a sporting mad nation, lovers of the outdoors? I get the impression it's just one big rough estate!

Often wonder if this could be an opportunity...

Sow some more serious caltrops that would damage car tyres and then blame it on the original offenders

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I see there's one person suggesting a watching rota with a long-range lens! I think that might be the only way to find out who it is. Can't believe it's still going on. :sad:
That's the first thing I thought of: surely any cycling club/group would care enough to watch the area on a rota, armed with web cams, smart phones.
They don't have to confront the perpetrators, only expose them to the police and the media.
Of course, for this to work, better not to discuss the fine details on any internet forum :smile:

Ganymede

Veteran
Strewth. If someone was lobbing caltrops in the road and wrecking car tyres there would be an indignant outpouring of rage.
I bet if they reported the dog with the hurty paw they'd get more outrage than anything expressed on behalf of cyclists. Oh dear that sounds cynical. Maybe just in the red-top press. It's not just the UK where everyone is soppy about animals though!

Every time I read a thread about Australia and cycling, it's often depressing. What is it with Australia and its attitudes to cycling? I thought this was a sporting mad nation, lovers of the outdoors? I get the impression it's just one big rough estate!
This is not my experience at all. I spent two months this year in Melbourne, and I find cycling there much more pleasant than in London. I'm based in interchangeably middle class suburbs in both cities. The cycling facilities are much nicer, roads more open (that's really not London's fault, it's an organic city); if there is a diversion on a cycle facility it's well signed and a detour provided, not just a "cyclists dismount" sign (yes, I'm looking at you, CS3). The drivers are generally more respecting to cyclists. Less concern with locks: a mechanic at a shop identified my fahgettaboudit lock with the same pride he might have used to spot a Moulton. And it was definitely overkill.

Down sides are tram tracks (they terrify me) and lots more potential doorings, both because they do not seem to look as much as Londoners and because tram tracks can squeeze you into the door zone as you don't want to cross them at a small angle. I ride slowly if I find myself in the door zone, which is the only reason I was not knocked off several times.

The tack thing is terrible, but not typical of my experience. We'll have to sponsor @victor to visit us, so he can realise how lucky he is.

classic33

Leg End Member
This is not my experience at all. I spent two months this year in Melbourne, and I find cycling there much more pleasant than in London. I'm based in interchangeably middle class suburbs in both cities. The cycling facilities are much nicer, roads more open (that's really not London's fault, it's an organic city); if there is a diversion on a cycle facility it's well signed and a detour provided, not just a "cyclists dismount" sign (yes, I'm looking at you, CS3). The drivers are generally more respecting to cyclists. Less concern with locks: a mechanic at a shop identified my fahgettaboudit lock with the same pride he might have used to spot a Moulton. And it was definitely overkill.

Down sides are tram tracks (they terrify me) and lots more potential doorings, both because they do not seem to look as much as Londoners and because tram tracks can squeeze you into the door zone as you don't want to cross them at a small angle. I ride slowly if I find myself in the door zone, which is the only reason I was not knocked off several times.

The tack thing is terrible, but not typical of my experience. We'll have to sponsor @victor to visit us, so he can realise how lucky he is.
Would he stay though?

OP
OP
Shut Up Legs

Shut Up Legs

Down Under Member
It's still occuring, and worse still, there have been recent reports of tacks and other sharp objects (some custom-made) in other inner-city locations.
https://www.bicyclenetwork.com.au/f...&sid=b1b0f2671035688bcc0f5d884d9d680c#p663996

By the way, have any of you tried the Tannus tyres, mentioned in the thread post in the above link? Apart from their obvious puncture-resistance, what are the drawbacks, e.g. poor rolling resistance, hard to put on and off, etc. ?

Top Bottom