Tannus tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I had a solid tyred Rudge as a child - the ride was horrid.

More recent attempts at solid tyres have yielded the same result, dreadful ride and handling, particularly around bends.

No doubt Tannus reckon their tyre rides well.

Cyclists will take some convincing of that.

Until then, solid tyres will only be seen on wheelchairs and wheelbarrows.

I've got a new pair on my crosstrail. They are surprisingly good, an absolute barsteward to fit, but worth the aggro. A bit on the pricey side, but totally puncture proof (they are solid after all), they roll no worse than the M+ I replaced, and Tannus reckon they'll be good for 4000 miles.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
I just worked out that that's less that a year and a half commuting. £99 is certainly more than I'd pay for M+'s in that time. I still can't decided whether they're worth it.
I got a pair of Marathon Originals, they have done about 5000 miles with 2 deflations, one a pinch flat and the other due to inner tube valve failure.
The bike is kaputt, but the tyres are like new!
Another bike has M+, I dare say they will last 8000 miles easy.
So, no, far too pricey.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I just worked out that that's less that a year and a half commuting. £99 is certainly more than I'd pay for M+'s in that time. I still can't decided whether they're worth it.

Brompton sized ones are £89 a pair.

I paid about £40 to replace the rear on my Brommie with a Marathon, including a new tube and a few quid to fit it.

No idea which would last longer.

I'm not keen on patching tubes, so If I did get a puncture or two on the Marathon, the solid tyre would work out cheaper.

MarkF

Guru
I've got a new pair on my crosstrail. They are surprisingly good, an absolute barsteward to fit, but worth the aggro. A bit on the pricey side, but totally puncture proof (they are solid after all), they roll no worse than the M+ I replaced, and Tannus reckon they'll be good for 4000 miles.

That is interesting, I use M+'s but would consider a pair of these for touring duties, the cost for zero puncture worries and less weight (tubes/kit) doesn't sound expensive to me Then again, I haven't had a puncture with M+'s in 4000 miles. :huh: I think I read in a review that a skid/slide can cause them to lose shape?

Last edited:
Really. That is interesting, I use M+'s but would consider a pair of these for touring duties, the cost for zero puncture worries and less weight (tubes/kit) doesn't sound expensive to me Then again, I haven't had a puncture with M+'s in 4000 miles. :huh: I think I read in a review that a skid/slide can cause them to lose shape?
If you have a big slide / skid, you could end up with a 50 pence piece stuck to the tyre for a few miles. But it would have to be the sort of skid that would shred a normal tyre to the cords, to cause it as far as I can tell.

Globalti

Legendary Member
That is interesting, I use M+'s but would consider a pair of these for touring duties, the cost for zero puncture worries and less weight (tubes/kit) doesn't sound expensive to me Then again, I haven't had a puncture with M+'s in 4000 miles. :huh: I think I read in a review that a skid/slide can cause them to lose shape?

Er.... how much do these tyres weigh?

For me one of the joys of road cycling is in feeling the bike under me and fine-tuning the frame, wheels, tubes and tyres to get the best possible ride quality and handling. I've achieved the closest yet to perfection with my Roubaix SL4 on Ksyrium SLs with lightweight tubes in Veloflex open Corsas and I would think fitting solid tyres would be like putting cart wheels on it; they must feel horrible to ride.

MarkF

Guru
Er.... how much do these tyres weigh?

For me one of the joys of road cycling is in feeling the bike under me and fine-tuning the frame, wheels, tubes and tyres to get the best possible ride quality and handling. I've achieved the closest yet to perfection with my Roubaix SL4 on Ksyrium SLs with lightweight tubes in Veloflex open Corsas and I would think fitting solid tyres would be like putting cart wheels on it; they must feel horrible to ride.

A review

"The weight of the tyres was within 5 grams of the quoted weight from the Tannus website, being 375g each. The clips added another 11g per wheel when assembled. When you consider that a similar tubed setup on a road bike comes to ~ 700g (that’s tyres & tubes at ~500g and a mini pump or CO2 system, plus repair kit at ~200g), the overall weight penalty is an un-noticeable 50 – 120g. As such, weight cannot be realistically used as a reason not to give the Tannus tyres a go"

Globalti

Legendary Member
Great for wheelchairs and those bikes you see cruising around inside airport terminals. Might also suit the TNT mail bikes that are beginning to apppear on the streets.

Are these the tyres that are fitted on Boris Bikes and other city bikes?

I wasn't expecting them to be any use at all. I was massively surprised by them. They feel a little odd at first, especially when you bank over, but the advantages of them, poor weather, and with pointy sharp stuff all over the place at this time of the year, is really noticeable. I haven't gone for the 23's on the roady yet, but in a 35 for the crosstrail, I'm very impressed thus far.

Top Bottom