Tannus tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Rim wreckers.
Is that a 'niche' website, you've discovered?

Profpointy

Legendary Member
Are they some kind of foam, ie with bubbles containing gas, in which case won't they gradually go flat as it were?
If they really are solid rubber, I can't see how the can keep the weight down.

I don't think the price is too out of order compared to good quality mainstream tyres (double maybe, and will likely come down) - providing of course they are adequately grippy and not unduly hard work to pedal

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Are they some kind of foam, ie with bubbles containing gas, in which case won't they gradually go flat as it were?
If they really are solid rubber, I can't see how the can keep the weight down.

I don't think the price is too out of order compared to good quality mainstream tyres (double maybe, and will likely come down) - providing of course they are adequately grippy and not unduly hard work to pedal

That's not really the way most foams work; your settee almost certainly has foam cushion and they won't inflate. The air is injected into a polypropylene (or whatever) sitting in a mold and the air is used to expand the foam while it's setting. I'm simplifying hugely, but hopefully this helps :smile:

potsy

Rambler
I don't think the price is too out of order
Agree with this, if you think of the price of M+ plus 2 tubes then the price difference for complete peace of mind seems pretty good.
This is assuming they do actually grip the road and last as long as they claim.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
Agree with this, if you think of the price of M+ plus 2 tubes then the price difference for complete peace of mind seems pretty good.

Grip seems fine, although I'm far more cautious with my bike these days. As for longevity, check back on this thread in a few years time :smile:

I was told by Tannus, that the wear expectation / estimate depends on the exact tyre you have, and the type of riding you do. They said that they'd expect the Thoroki's I have on my crosstrail, would be good for at least 4000 miles, given the sort of mixed trail / road riding I do on that bike. I've heard of estimates of more than twice that, for the Musai, used purely for road riding. In my experience thus far, they roll and grip, just as well as the M+'s I replaced with them, and other than the buggering about I had to do to fit them (I didn't use the bike shop, I just did it using a brake press tool, and some contortionist routine), they have been worth the hassle so far.

Profpointy

Legendary Member
That's not really the way most foams work; your settee almost certainly has foam cushion and they won't inflate. The air is injected into a polypropylene (or whatever) sitting in a mold and the air is used to expand the foam while it's setting. I'm simplifying hugely, but hopefully this helps :smile:

Ah, that kind of makes sense, though I guess they'll go down eventually in the same way sofa cushions flatten over time. A bit worried that you can't (presumably) tailor the "pressure" as you would on a normal tyre. One person might want 110psi (equivalent) but another might want 90 say? Maybe not a problem since pressure in conventional tyres is a much about keeping snakebites at bay as optimum for riding, so the first point would be dealt with by the tyre itself.

Might give one a go when the time comes, on the back at least

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Ah, that kind of makes sense, though I guess they'll go down eventually in the same way sofa cushions flatten over time. A bit worried that you can't (presumably) tailor the "pressure" as you would on a normal tyre. One person might want 110psi (equivalent) but another might want 90 say? Maybe not a problem since pressure in conventional tyres is a much about keeping snakebites at bay as optimum for riding, so the first point would be dealt with by the tyre itself.

Might give one a go when the time comes, on the back at least

I think it's a lot about target audience as well which is why I'm a bit surprised by how expensive they are. They do seem ideal for commuting/hack/pub bikes where the owners give little or no TLC to their rides. Get the price down, get them on some big name commuter models and the sales could be astronomical....if they work.

If they don't work this time I'm sure the future holds a version that will...though I would like to hear more re rim/spoke problems?

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I posted some a list of facts about these tyres here - http://lucky-x.com/solid-tyres-tannus-make-bold-claims/

Interesting but still just their sales blurb, I have watched both fitting and removal videos by Tannus and on Youtube....certainly doable at home but not something you would want to tackle often. So potential damage for rims and spokes would be a deal breaker. Off the top of my head my concerns would be about how they react to deflection and whether they provide the same level of protection as a normal tire. They aren't exactly a roadside repair so, especially at their high price point, that really matters.

Now if they could pair a cheaper version of these with some sort of aero/fixed spoke rim that you just bolt/screw a hub of your choice into, that could be fun.

Top Bottom