Tannus tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
I've heard ex this before about Brompton rims. Aren't there any third part replacements available? Why do they fail so quickly?

It's due to the lack of actual material in the rims, and the hammering they take, if used for commuting etc. I wasted a pair of rims on a Brompton, taking it from Southampton to Brompton Road in London and back, in one day, that was less than 200 miles:ohmy:

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I've heard ex this before about Brompton rims. Aren't there any third part replacements available? Why do they fail so quickly?
I think the alloy is of a poor quality and very soft. Plus said above, due to the smaller rim there's less braking surface (I.e., the rim spins more to cover the same distance as a larger wheel). But I also think they're thinner side walls pro rats so to speak.

Must admit that after yesterdays fiasco I am tempted to try them, I do need reliable tyres for the next few months and our local farmers are doing there annual ritual of filling the side roads full of hedge thorns, but there are a few questions 1) where in the North would I get them fitted 2) how much would a LBS charge to fit them 3) when I get back to distances of 20 - 50 miles over mixed trails (specifically here I am thinking of the trail down the Tyne in to Newcastle) how will they behave?

Must admit that after yesterdays fiasco I am tempted to try them, I do need reliable tyres for the next few months and our local farmers are doing there annual ritual of filling the side roads full of hedge thorns, but there are a few questions 1) where in the North would I get them fitted 2) how much would a LBS charge to fit them 3) when I get back to distances of 20 - 50 miles over mixed trails (specifically here I am thinking of the trail down the Tyne in to Newcastle) how will they behave?
Any competent LBS should be able to help you with fitting them, if you don't fancy skinning your knuckles and swearing a lot. I've now done about 600 miles on mine, on some knackered up trails, and on the roads (same thing round here). They are still absolutely fine, and seem very capable of 70 miles + on mixed surfaces, with no issues so far with tyres or rims.

albion

Guru
I wonder. If you don't zigzag around potholes, do you get to have crater like hollows in the tyre?

Like everything, it is what the marketing people do no tell you that matters.

I wonder. If you don't zigzag around potholes, do you get to have crater like hollows in the tyre?

Like everything, it is what the marketing people do no tell you that matters.
I hit a pothole that would have probably ruptured a pneumatic tyre and tube last week. It didn't bother the solids a bit.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Previous version of solid tyres have proved to be too harsh on rims to be viable.

No doubt Tannus would say they've cured that, but until a couple of customers have done a few thousand miles each I don't think we will get a reliable answer.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
Bromptons are used almost exclusively for commuting by most owners, so it's all stop-start riding and thus lots of braking. That said, riding style makes a huge difference: anticipate and brake gently and you'll get 2000 miles; do an emergency stop at every set of lights and you'll kill them in 500.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
Bromptons are used almost exclusively for commuting by most owners, so it's all stop-start riding and thus lots of braking. That said, riding style makes a huge difference: anticipate and brake gently and you'll get 2000 miles; do an emergency stop at every set of lights and you'll kill them in 500.
Not strictly true, you forgot - live in the hills with traffic lights at the foot of every route off the hill, and kill them in less than a thousand miles. Sometimes riding styles are dictated by the terrain one rides in.

Top Bottom