Tannus tyres

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
How do you know they've come to end of life? I know with mousses fitted to dirt bikes after a while the feel goes and that's the indicator of 'time to replace' rather than specific wear. With my flak jackets time to replace was the second puncture, when I realised how thin they'd got.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I like the idea of these for my Bromptons. But, as my rims typically only last 1000 to 2500 miles this would mean a new set of Tannus every rim change. So not viable due to not being able to remove them without destroying them.

Interesting but still just their sales blurb, I have watched both fitting and removal videos by Tannus and on Youtube....certainly doable at home but not something you would want to tackle often. So potential damage for rims and spokes would be a deal breaker. Off the top of my head my concerns would be about how they react to deflection and whether they provide the same level of protection as a normal tire. They aren't exactly a roadside repair so, especially at their high price point, that really matters.

Now if they could pair a cheaper version of these with some sort of aero/fixed spoke rim that you just bolt/screw a hub of your choice into, that could be fun.

I've done about 500 miles on some very rough paths, so far no issues with rims or spokes or deflections. Touch wood, I've not had to tackle any problems requiring road side fettling as yet. If I did, I wouldn't fancy it, they are a bit complicated to deal with, if you haven't got more than tools you could easily carry.

How do you know they've come to end of life? I know with mousses fitted to dirt bikes after a while the feel goes and that's the indicator of 'time to replace' rather than specific wear. With my flak jackets time to replace was the second puncture, when I realised how thin they'd got.

I'm told they can eventually get so uneven / egg shaped, that you get unacceptable vibration, then you change them. But the wear should be gradual, and you won't get any big sudden drop in performance, if you haven't had an incident which might cause it. They are confident that it would have to be an incident that would knacker any tyre / rim.

Why so? What do they do to the rims?

A pneumatic tyre uses the entire air volume contained within the innertube to absorb bumps. A polyurethane foam sponge tyre can only use the flex available in the depth of the material of the tyre. Bump forces are entirely localised. The thinner the tyre the worse the effect.

Modern puncture proof tyres and tyre sealants have made these horrid things obselete for everything but wheelbarrows, it's just a shame that more people don't know the truth. I haven't had a puncture for five years - and I'm getting a sh!t load more than a piddly 4000 miles out of my tyres.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
A pneumatic tyre uses the entire air volume contained within the innertube to absorb bumps. A polyurethane foam sponge tyre can only use the flex available in the depth of the material of the tyre. Bump forces are entirely localised. The thinner the tyre the worse the effect.

Modern puncture proof tyres and tyre sealants have made these horrid things obselete for everything but wheelbarrows, it's just a shame that more people don't know the truth. I haven't had a puncture for five years - and I'm getting a sh!t load more than a piddly 4000 miles out of my tyres.
Without having your scientific knowledge, I had the same thoughts about those tyres.

theclaud

Openly Marxist

I haven't been quite this puncture-free, but I'm a bit baffled that punctures are apparently so frequent and loom so large in the fears of so many cyclists, that puncture-proofing would on its own seem to cancel out all the advantages of the pneumatic tyre. Most of us already choose to compromise between puncture-proofing and weight/ride quality anyway, or we'd all have Marathon+s on every bike. And of course tyres should mostly be black, so they can keep the silly colours.

You must be running those new silicone dioxide rims.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
made these horrid things obselete for everything but wheelbarrows,.

I think the point of the Tannus tyres is they are entirely unlike previous solid tyres which, as you say, were horrid.

Rohloff_Brompton_Rider

Formerly just_fixed
I do (as of yesterday) have M+ on every bike.
I haven't been quite this puncture-free, but I'm a bit baffled that punctures are apparently so frequent and loom so large in the fears of so many cyclists, that puncture-proofing would on its own seem to cancel out all the advantages of the pneumatic tyre. Most of us already choose to compromise between puncture-proofing and weight/ride quality anyway, or we'd all have Marathon+s on every bike. And of course tyres should mostly be black, so they can keep the silly colours.

I think the point of the Tannus tyres is they are entirely unlike previous solid tyres which, as you say, were horrid.

I'd wager that the performance of these Tannus tires differs little from those manufactured by The Green Tyre Co. If we were to compare the roll down and durability figures we'd know.

Andrew_Culture

Internet Marketing bod
I'd wager that the performance of these Tannus tires differs little from those manufactured by The Green Tyre Co. If we were to compare the roll down and durability figures we'd know.

How? I ask this in all seriousness, because I wrote this 'standard bloke' review but it's quite clear I'm no expert. I'd love to read a review that revolves around lab tests, maybe like those done by Ikea on their settees :smile:

DTD

Veteran
Quite interesting – maybe something I'd try on my commuter (Moulton TSR2) – the suspension might counter the lack of a tube to give a plusher ride.

Top Bottom