1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tacx brake shoe tuner

Discussion in 'Beginners' started by oldgitofkent, 28 Aug 2007.

1. oldgitofkent

oldgitofkent New Member

Has anyone used one of these. I have 3 bikes and hate setting the brakes

2. robgul

robgul Guru

Yes - it's OK but only really works with Vee brake type pads (i.e. not calipers on a road bike)

I have made a couple of shims out of plastic for setting the road bike blocks - works, and cost nothing!

Rob

3. MontyVeda

MontyVeda a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

re-opening an old thread here as I'm considering getting one of these Tacx Brake Shoe Tuners.

CYP196.bs_bench.tacxtool-399-75.jpg

looking at it... I can't see why it's only of use on V-brakes as Robgul states.

Can anybody offer any further info?

4. Me neither.

In fact I very nearly bought last week from Rose Bikes, but the shipping charges meant it wasn't viable, and on reflection I figured I'd stick with my trusty piece of card and a cable tie.

5. MontyVeda

MontyVeda a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll

I'm intrigued! Please tell me more

I'm currently losing my marbles putting new blocks on (centre pull calipers... or is it cantilevers) :wacko:

6. I just use a piece of card that I fold over the rim and then place against the rim so the brake blocks press against it, (so it gives a tolerance between pad and rim when cable is tightened and card is removed), and I use a cable tie fastened but with a loop left at the end and slip it over the back edge of the pad/block to create some toe-in, (as rear of pad/block won't be able to sit flush with rim due to the cable tie).

Hope that makes sense, works for me :thumbsup: