Take command of the road ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

classic33

Leg End Member
Taking control of a lane should only ever be done for the absolute minimum amount of time/distance necessary. I mostly do it on the approach to junctions where I don't want someone overtaking me then cutting across in front. If you do it minimally then return to the side of the road as soon as possible after it usually doesn't provoke dangerous driver reactions, but trying to take a lane for a prolonged time and baulking faster traffic from overtaking is just asking for a punishment pass combined with blaring horn and abuse.
Most drivers are reasonably tolerant so long as they don't percieve that you are just holding them up deliberately to delay them. On two wheels you're on to a loser if you tangle with motorised traffic, so don't provoke them. Some are nutters and the less interaction you have with them the safer it stays.
I'll take, and keep, control of the lane for my safety if I'm moving as quick as other traffic, or if I feel that allowing what's behind me past, if I'm aware of a sudden change of traffic conditions ahead.

Reactions: C R

classic33

Leg End Member
I agree, things like drain covers and breaking up surfaces are a non-issue to motorists, but as a rider you want to steer round them when you can. I tend to look around so the drivers see that I'm aware of them, then move out smoothly then move back in. Swerving out at the last minute is asking for trouble or abuse.
As is moving around like an idiot on an open road. The surface imperfections that you are looking for won't bother a driver very much. If you're riding over drain covers, you're too close to the edge of the road.

Drago

Legendary Member
Would you care to elaborate on the way you do it yourself and the way they do it that you consider less safe?
Itd be a lot easier to show you... but since you ask, pulking away from the kerbside its easier to place the bike at a greater angle than they teach, rear wheel against the kerb. This gives greater stand-off distance betwixt rider and traffic, a natural rpfend-off and a better/easier field of view to the rear without compromising forward vision.

You beat me to it! Just had a browse through the Bikeability syllabus and can’t see anything too controversial!

Nothing especially controversial. Its just rather lacking, even bu the standards required of a young audience. It's pretty outdated, a bit Mickey Mouse, and not helped by the attitude of some - but not all - Bikeability and BC trainers/leaders etc who think they walk on water because theyve received a little bit of mediocre amateur level tuition. The professional, internationally accredited training community keep ourselves well distanced from all of them.

Last edited:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
As is moving around like an idiot on an open road. The surface imperfections that you are looking for won't bother a driver very much. If you're riding over drain covers, you're too close to the edge of the road.
Usually, but not always... I encountered a potentially lethal drain cover on a bend after almost riding into it when looking round at the local scenery. I don't know whether the road had been widened at some point but it certainly isn't a safe cover in a safe position! :eek:

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
Next time I go up there I will check if the dangerous drain cover has been replaced. If it hasn't, I will report it and make sure that the council sorts it out.

I just took a look further on. There is a drain cover on the other side of the road which at least has its slots perpendicular to the direction of travel. Unfortunately, there still appear to be gaps big enough to trap a road bike's skinny front tyre. Once again, it is well out in the road. I reckon the road WAS widened in the past!

If I make a report I will include photos of my bike balancing with the front wheel trapped in the slots of the drain covers.

Lozz360

Veteran
It looks like there will be a lot of standing water on that road when it rains. The camber seems to fall away from the drain cover to the nearest verge.

Top Bottom