Take command of the road ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

boydj

Legendary Member
I usually ride at about the same distance from the kerb as my nearside wheels would be if I was driving. Keeps me out of the muck and in a position to move either way if road surface dictates.

That's a good rule of thumb - gives you a bit of wiggle room if there's a close pass and makes it easier to take the lane at a pinch point, move out a bit for better visibility at a junction, or move to the middle for a right turn.

I try not to watch the Bikeabikity lot as they go round the village every year, its cringeworthy. All well and good telling them to take command of the lane when they have given them faulty advice about getting going in the first place...

I refused permission for Mini D to do it and trained her and one of her friends myself to do it properly.
What was the faulty advice about getting going?

Venod

Eh up
I usually ride just out from the gutter, but will take the middle of the lane if I think its safer, I did this the other day approaching a traffic island, (don't want a close pass here) but a car behind say my position and accelerated at an alarming rate and cut in front of me to get past the island, I think I called him a very naughty boy or words to that effect.

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
Taking control of a lane should only ever be done for the absolute minimum amount of time/distance necessary. I mostly do it on the approach to junctions where I don't want someone overtaking me then cutting across in front. If you do it minimally then return to the side of the road as soon as possible after it usually doesn't provoke dangerous driver reactions, but trying to take a lane for a prolonged time and baulking faster traffic from overtaking is just asking for a punishment pass combined with blaring horn and abuse.
Most drivers are reasonably tolerant so long as they don't percieve that you are just holding them up deliberately to delay them. On two wheels you're on to a loser if you tangle with motorised traffic, so don't provoke them. Some are nutters and the less interaction you have with them the safer it stays.

Lozz360

Veteran
One rules does not fit all, which is why its very difficult to "teach" anyone in a day or two.
common sense (which some people have in short supply when driving and cycling) says a mixture of defence, safety and courtesy works best.

obviously don't ride through the crap, take primary when encouraging an overtake would be dangerous, but help drivers overtake where its safe and clear. If its an urban dual carriage way take a whole lane , side by side if two of you, if you are slogging up a long hill on a narrow lane, pull into a gateway to let a grateful motorist past, rather than build their rage over 2 miles just because you can.
I agree that your last point makes good sense, but if I am slogging up a long hill, the last thing I want to do is stop. This is due to my difficulty in starting on a hill.

Lozz360

Veteran
On a long straight road with hedge, I had some pothole dodging to do then found myself riding 6" from the grassy bank. A car was about 400m behind me. I executed a change of track to 2ry position. Obviously I had to swing out to 1ry to get into 2ry.
The overtook me a good 5 seconds later hooting like crazy.

Most drivers dont understand riding position but instinctively give more clearance to wider riders.
Personally, I would rather be hooted at than suffer a close pass or worse.

Taking control of a lane should only ever be done for the absolute minimum amount of time/distance necessary. I mostly do it on the approach to junctions where I don't want someone overtaking me then cutting across in front. If you do it minimally then return to the side of the road as soon as possible after it usually doesn't provoke dangerous driver reactions, but trying to take a lane for a prolonged time and baulking faster traffic from overtaking is just asking for a punishment pass combined with blaring horn and abuse.
Most drivers are reasonably tolerant so long as they don't percieve that you are just holding them up deliberately to delay them. On two wheels you're on to a loser if you tangle with motorised traffic, so don't provoke them. Some are nutters and the less interaction you have with them the safer it stays.
I agree
but the thing some drivers do not understand is that the definition of "absolute minimum amount of time/distance necessary" is down to the cyclist and they are aware of things that are not normally clear to a car driver - even if the car driver is also a cyclist!

SkipdiverJohn

Deplorable Brexiteer
I agree, things like drain covers and breaking up surfaces are a non-issue to motorists, but as a rider you want to steer round them when you can. I tend to look around so the drivers see that I'm aware of them, then move out smoothly then move back in. Swerving out at the last minute is asking for trouble or abuse.

T4tomo

Legendary Member
I agree that your last point makes good sense, but if I am slogging up a long hill, the last thing I want to do is stop. This is due to my difficulty in starting on a hill.
I try to keep moving, give them a wave and let them know what your planning and then they can wizz past as you ease over

Not too close to the gutter or kerb but 1/3rd if there are more than 2 lanes. Much closer to the kerb if single lane. Always take the primary on narrow stretch or heading into a crossing, junctions etc.

My attitude is to survive not preserve my rights if a choice has to be made. I found city traffic to be safer as they are generally slower. Wide berth to HGVs and white van man.

Flashing rear lights are god sent. Something hits the mind of a motorist when a red light flashes. Always on during the day.

boydj

Legendary Member

This all sounds just a bit subservient to drivers. I try to work to the principles of "my safety, your safety, my convenience, your convenience". You seem to be mixing up the last two.

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
Here's what the FFCT say (Facebook's auto-translation). Obv assume left for right on UK roads.
👉 Here are our tips for safe crossing!
ANTICIPATE! The driving of nearby vehicles must be analyzed and positioned well on the roadway to predict their movements. Keeping a hand on the brake is best to cope with possible hazards.
COMMIT YOURSELF! You must insert yourself on the lane on your right, it keeps you visible to motorists and other users will not be able to double you.
ADAPT YOUR DRIVE! You must not slow down or speed up, but keep a constant pace during the crossing. Avoid stopping and restarting in the giratory crossroads at all costs.
STAY IN THE AXIS! Upon your exit, it's important to remain in the middle axis to be visible in the blind spot of road drivers and not hit by other vehicles.

Top Bottom